Developing B&W 35mm film: Did I do something wrong???

I've developed a lot of film in my life time but I've never seen this. I'd bet bad batch of film
I've had this happen ONCE before... I can't remember exactly what caused it, but it wasn't a bad batch - film from the same batch came out fine later. I want to say that the chemical temperature being too high sounds right.

The edges of the film are damaged too. I don't think a squeegee would have done that.

Ummmm, yeah, that is my thought too. My guess is that in the wash, the water was allowed to get very hot.
Might be, but even Foma gelatine should withstand 27 C without a problem or came off uniformly. I wonder, if OP controlled the wash temperature at all and it's quite possible, that not.

That is my thought EXACTLY....that after a while, the hot water from the water heater got reallllllly hot. I've seen this issue before, and that was what it was from; HOT water wash.
It would be a very easy mistake to make.

Assuming that he was using a thermometer and adjusting the hot and cold taps till the temperature was just right - in a few minutes the hot water is MUCH hotter than when you started.

When I'm developing color film, I run the hot water till the temperature stabilizes, THEN start adding cold water to get it right.

nice share, i'm newbie here.

w.png

You develop?

Top ways to ruin your film:

Poor temperature control.
Poor light tightness.
Poor timing.
Squeegeeing!
Water spots.
Dust during drying.
Scratching it on the reel.
Over-agitation.

I'd love a dollar for every roll or sheet I processed during my film days.

Here's what I think happened. Wet film emulsion is very soft and should never be handled. What I used to do was use a good quality wetting agent. I believe the good ones are ethylene glycol based. I'd run the film through the wetting agent a couple of times the give the film a 'flick' (like a whip) to flick off any water droplets, then hang the film in a dust free environment. I never had scratches or dust.

I used to work (late 1970s to late 1980s) in the photographic unit in a large heavy industrial plant. We would do our own B/W processing and printing. At time we had to work with very tight deadlines. My boss came up with an idea of mixing wetting agent with a bit of methylated spirits in water to aid in the drying process. It worked.

My boss came up with an idea of mixing wetting agent with a bit of methylated spirits in water to aid in the drying process. It worked.
:D Your boss ? Did he said it was his idea ? :biglaugh: What else he ascribe to himself ?
Technique of quick drying with alcohol must be a century old.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back