Developing my films is getting expensive!! Help!

meg27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mojocreative.co.uk
Hi,
I have only really gotten into photography in the last year or so, but as i get more and more obsessed with it i am really feeling the pinch!! I'm talking about 35mm here, mainly colour. I don't have access to a dark room ,and even if i did i wouldn't have a clue what to do so have decided to leave developing my films to the proffessionals. However as i now seem to be getting through two or three films in a day if i'm so i'm somewhere interesting, its getting really expensive!! And i keep thinking surely the pro's aren't paying to get there films developed in High street photographic shops like Jessops or Klicks?!! So where do you get your photo's developed, especially when you have ten or more colour films, and you want 5"X7" or bigger, with white borders!? And don't say go digital, because not only can i not afford a decent one, but i love film!

Also i'm, starting to venture into using filters and stuff, and i'm worried the hight street developers might try and correct the effects i have achieved, or not produce the best out of the negs!
I would really appreciate some advice on this!! Thanks!

I'm guessing that pros don't pay for their developing...either their clients or their employers do.

You might be able to find a deal on developing & printing, something like a frequent customer card.

You could skip getting prints on every single photo...just have the film developed and have an index print made. Then you have have just the ones you want printed. Although, I've found that a set of 4x6 prints usually adds very little to the price of developing.

If you really want 'what you shoot, is what you get'...consider slide film. I don't know what they will charge for developing, but typically you don't get prints, and then only print the ones you want.

I used to spend quite a bit on film & developing...but then I went digital. Although, it probably would have taken me more than a year to equal the costs (in film & developing) of my DSLR. Although, I shoot way more photos now than I did with film...simply because it doesn't cost any more.

Photography is expensive whether film or digital. Accept that and move on. Hopefully in the long run the more you shoot the better you'll get. Possibly at some point you can use your photography to pay for itself.

meg27 said:
ok. Thanks. :meh:

Sorry. ;) But there is no point in beating around the bush. The more you get into it, the more it's gonna cost you. But don't worry, if you enjoy it it's worth it.

Unfortunately, all of us photo guys are paying the price of such a wonderful hobby.

I've cut costs by requesting processing only and examining the results on a flat bed scanner. I do this with my 120 negatives as well.

I would almost always have my 35mm film scanned and burned to CD at the time of printing...that cost a few extra bucks, but at some places the cost could be offset by not getting prints...although, like I said, just getting a set of 4x6 prints was pretty cheap.

1) how can you be sure that you love film without trying digital?
2) why do you beleive you'll have trouble developing BW?
3) can you possibly get some space for an enlarger? Can you use your bathroom/kitchen?

DocFrankenstein said:
1) how can you be sure that you love film without trying digital?
2) why do you beleive you'll have trouble developing BW?
3) can you possibly get some space for an enlarger? Can you use your bathroom/kitchen?

1)I have tried digital, the last camera i had was digital and it was great - untill i got my pentax slr, and then i realised what i was missing with a non-slr (whats tech term for this type?) to i switched to 35mm SLR. However the DSLR i would like is too expensive for me at the moment and you just don't get the results when using cheaper ones.
2) what do you mean?
3) explain this more please?!! as i said i know nothing about developing photo's. Would love to though!

I do realise that it is an expensive hobby, but don't places anyhere do a kind of reduced price for the more films you want developed? You know, kind of bulk buying? Where does eveyone else get thier colour photos done? Where is best?

Thanks!

The prices vary depending on what area you are in. I use Jessops, because cheaper places modify the prints however they like, even if you ask them not to. With Jessops they will follow instructions like 'don't modify the prints', AND in my local Jessops where I'm a real regular, if I take in a few films at once then don't like the way one picture is printed, they will often re-print it for me for no extra charge, because I've saved them the effort of checking each print when they first do them.

It's always worth asking, most shops are helpful when they know your face. It doesn't always work but it's worth trying.

Personally I get all my pictures printed in the most standard (cheap) format, which for me is borderless 6x4. Providing I only want a few prints from the roll it's better value to get them re-printed in the prefered format, once you've had a good look at them. You can also request minor modifications like correcting colour casts, or altering the framing, because they are single shots they can do this for no extra charge...

Thankyou!!
Ok, so i will try our local Jessops. My problem is that i don't get the same satisfaction getting smaller prints! But it is time i become more selective, and you are definatly right, get 6x4 and then get reprints. That is what i shall do!!! I wasn't aware that places like Jessops would make changes for you, the ones in our shops seem to be a bunch of teenagers who don't know anything about developing, or anything much at all. But i shall give it a go, and maybe they will suprise me!

meg27 said:
I wasn't aware that places like Jessops would make changes for you, the ones in our shops seem to be a bunch of teenagers who don't know anything about developing, or anything much at all.

Definately find a lab that makes you feel like it's worth what you are paying. I'd rather spend a little more, and know that I'm getting good service and quality than save a little, and always be questioning the service and quality.

Most reactions

Back