Did not get focus correct

ksasidhar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot in manual mode with my Nikon D7000 and 50mm prime lens. I though both children were at same distance from the lens and metering was weighted average. However, end result is that one child is in focus while other is out of focus. Can you give some insight into what could have gone wrong? thanks
focus.JPG

The child on the left is still. The child on the right is moving a little bit and has "subject motion blurring". Depth of field is shallow at close range at wider f/stops. Bounced flash could have helped this shot.

What was your shutter speed and what focus mode were you using? Derrel is right about subject motion blur. You'd need a fast shutter speed to freeze motion (or a flash). For me, I never shoot below 1/500 unless I'm on a tripod with a still subject. DOF was really shallow here as well which can be unforgiving if your subject moves or if you do even slightly.

I agree with both above, for things or children moving you have to have a good shutter speed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used shutter speed of 1/20 I think. I could have used faster shutter speed but I felt light not sufficient enough.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Thanks for the suggestions. I used shutter speed of 1/20 I think. I could have used faster shutter speed but I felt light not sufficient enough.

Bump up the ISO if flash isn't an option. A noisy high ISO photo is better, IMO, than a blurry out of focus one. You can always apply some noise reduction software in post.

For me, I never shoot below 1/500 unless I'm on a tripod with a still subject.
Whaa? Never? Never ever? Never ever ever?

Pretty much. I know the rule about focal length and shutter speed but, for me, I'm a swayer and I need that shutter peed. My hand holding technique is obviously not the greatest. I suppose I could get down to 1/60 if I absolutely had no choice and had something to lean on, but for me, higher ISO gives better results. For taking pics of kids for anyone, I think 1/500 is a good speed.

For me, I never shoot below 1/500 unless I'm on a tripod with a still subject.
Whaa? Never? Never ever? Never ever ever?

Pretty much. I know the rule about focal length and shutter speed but, for me, I'm a swayer and I need that shutter peed. My hand holding technique is obviously not the greatest. I suppose I could get down to 1/60 if I absolutely had no choice and had something to lean on, but for me, higher ISO gives better results. For taking pics of kids for anyone, I think 1/500 is a good speed.
Gotcha. Makes sense! I agree for kids. My little one is always on the move, and it's hard to get a clear shot of her.

I'm also in the "not the greatest" handholding technique party, so I like the Olympus IBIS. It helps me greatly. I took a couple shots down to 1/8 of a second. Likely wouldn't have been able to do that without the IBIS.

Gotcha. Makes sense! I agree for kids. My little one is always on the move, and it's hard to get a clear shot of her.

I'm also in the "not the greatest" handholding technique party, so I like the Olympus IBIS. It helps me greatly. I took a couple shots down to 1/8 of a second. Likely wouldn't have been able to do that without the IBIS.

Yes, in body stabilization would be great. A couple of my Fuji lenses have OIS - it's super helpful on the zooms. When I had a Nikon I had a Tamron 70-300 that had what they called VC I think (vibration control?) - it was amazing.

Image taken at 1/15 and f/1.8. Did a good job of holding the camera still at that speed with the 50mm lens, but like Derrell noted the younger kid was moving and for that you need a faster shutter speed - flash - or combination of both.

My first preference would be to move the kids closer to the light coming in from the left of the image (in my room a move from 3 meters from the window to 1 meter from the window is usually worth around 2 stops of light).

Indoors with that camera I would probably start at ISO 1600. I would look for at least 1/60th - and take more than one shot - especially looking to grab the image at the height of the motion (with my kids I try and have the heads still and don't worry as much about the hands).

The image-stabilization of the camera will not help with the motion of your kids - a higher shutter speed or flash will help eliminate subject motion blur.

Image is a bit green for me. Either adjust the WB in camera if shooting JPG or adjust the image in post processing. Best not to mix light sources such as a florescent room light and sunlight. I like how you were down at their level for the shot and the way the kids are looking.

Thanks square peg. I will try similar shot again with tips from the posts here

honestly, it's not a bad rule-of-thumb.

i still like: min. shutter speed = focal length x 2

and that just factors in YOUR movement -- not the subject's.

Thanks for detailed description Dave. I did not know that flash can reduce the image blur. I do know that faster shutter will help but like I mentioned before, I was worried about the light.

I had a feeling that in built flash in this shot will create bright spot in the picture. Is there a way to use flash and avoid it?

I captured nef images but converted it to jpeg to post it here. I noticed the image to be greenish but could not identify the reason. Thanks for suggestion.

I had a feeling that in built flash in this shot will create bright spot in the picture. Is there a way to use flash and avoid it?

this is why everyone is suggesting bounce flash. You literally bounce the flash on a larger surface to provide nice clean even light.

something like the Lightscoop is the best option if all you have is the pop-up flash.

But even direct flash wouldn't have been that bad...

Most reactions

Back