Differences between D40x and D80!

spazmonkeyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there's a couple posts on the Nikon models...but I'm specifically getting the technical (as well as any biased benefits) between the D40x
and the D80.

cuz I found a D40x as a factory demo and its a killer price.

so thanx yall

D80 has autofocus built into the lens. Check out this link for a comparison between all of Nikon's Camera's.

Can't seem to find a link for the pdf that I have that shows all the details. If you email me, I can send it as an attachment. From Nikon USA, and its great.

D80 has autofocus built into the lens. Check out this link for a comparison between all of Nikon's Camera's.

Can't seem to find a link for the pdf that I have that shows all the details. If you email me, I can send it as an attachment. From Nikon USA, and its great.

I was just searching for that pdf too! I have it, but now I can't find it anywhere! lol.

It depends on what size of pictures you want to print. I went for the D40x over the D40...but some people don't always agree with me.

Anyway, yeah, do a bunch of research online (ignore Ken Rockwell) and see what you think.

It depends on what size of pictures you want to print. I went for the D40x over the D40...but some people don't always agree with me.

Anyway, yeah, do a bunch of research online (ignore Ken Rockwell) and see what you think.

What I mean is will a higher megapixel camera give me better low-light shots?

you have a whole lot more lens options with the D80

I would read Ken Rockwell, with a grain of salt. MP is pretty much marketing...anything over 5 will work pretty darn well. More MP will not help you at all in low light. As a Nikon guy, if you are looking specifically for good low light performance (which is a matter of ISO range), look at Canon. They aren't as noisy.

..anything over 5 will work pretty darn well.

It really depends on what you finally want to do with the image.

On the other hand, one should keep in mind, that anything over 10 MP will require really good lenses to use the sensor's potential.

More MP will not help you at all in low light.

Just as a side note, if you take it to the extreme, more MP will actually help in low light. A very noisy 20 MP, after applying noise reduction software intensely, will give a very fine 5 MP image where you will hardly realise that it had strong noise reduction applied. whereas if you start with 5MP, you will lose considerable detail through heavy noise reduction.

I would read Ken Rockwell, with a grain of salt. MP is pretty much marketing...anything over 5 will work pretty darn well. More MP will not help you at all in low light. As a Nikon guy, if you are looking specifically for good low light performance (which is a matter of ISO range), look at Canon. They aren't as noisy.

What are you comparing? The D300 and the D3 are amazing at low light, and in many tests beat out the 40D and the 1D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back