difficult choice.. Canon T2i or Nikon D200?

nj10279

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
which would you choose and why? (strictly body, unless you have lens preference as well)

i was thinking of purchasing a friend's hardly used D200 for $500 (less then a few hundred clicks) or a brand new T2i for $799, but i can decide which is worth more.. an old professional 10mp or new mid-grade 18mp?

i have analyzed all the specs and they each have a few great points for what they are.. more pixels in the T2i but better sensor in the D200.. etc.

it will be my first DSLR. i take pictures of everything: landscape, nature, sports, and will now try portraits. any advice would be helpful.
thank you.

I would take the D200.. and I am a canon guy! If you look at the width of the resolution of T2i it is 5184 pixels. The D200 is 3872. So it is only 25% smaller. Dont compare 10 and 18 because the bigger your frame, the more pixels you need to fill. So 10 to 18 seems like a big jump but not really.

Just about a tossup. Really. I prefer the ergonomics and controls that the D200 has that no Rebel series body has, like the large 4-way controller the Nikons use, and the separate front dial and rear dial on the D200 and other mid-level Nikons, whereas the Rebels and the low-end Nikon's are what are called "single-button" cameras.

Tough call though, it really is...the Canon does however have video capture,and that's potentially kind of a nice addition for some types of things.

T2i,There are some features that I really like about the Rebel T2i, which are either not available in other Canon models

The first is the ability to set a maximum ISO when using Auto ISO.

The second is the inclusion of a 5-stop exposure compensation, making the T2i ideal for HDR photography - though auto-bracketing is limited to +/- 2-stops over the 5-stop range.

Compatibility with the new SDXC media format.

hmmm...

I'd go with the nikon because the 35mm f/1.8 is an awesome, cheap, sharp lens and the camera is metal/sealed/5fps.

The only thing the T2i has as an advantage is more resolution/higher iso, bigger screen and video. The D200 otherwise is better in every way.

This is a tough choice. The T2i has a better sensor than the D200 (CCD) but personally I like bigger camera which fit my hand better. (I have both Canon Rebel XTi and 40D)

Besides, the control of the D200 is better than Rebel (only have one wheels on Rebel series) and no top display on Rebel series as well.

However, if video feature is important to you .... it will be a different story.

T2i,There are some features that I really like about the Rebel T2i, which are either not available in other Canon models

The first is the ability to set a maximum ISO when using Auto ISO.

The second is the inclusion of a 5-stop exposure compensation, making the T2i ideal for HDR photography - though auto-bracketing is limited to +/- 2-stops over the 5-stop range.

Compatibility with the new SDXC media format.

Hmmmm... that's a confusing response since the TS is asking to compare to the d200, not other canon models.

The d200 has 9 stop braketing +/- 4 stops over a 9 stop range. Twice the range as the T2i.

It also has a max-iso setting when using auto iso, just like the t2i.

Most reactions

Back