Difficulty posting images when starting a threrad

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use Smugmug to host my images.

When I start a picture thread and use the insert image button I get an error that the url is invalid.

As an example, the image below could not be posted unless I uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button. If I leave it checked, I get an "invalid url" message.

050520120871-X2.jpg

If I attempt to post the same image in the same way in a reply to this thread and I leave the button checked, I no longer get the "invalid url" message.

I will post a reply to this thread to show that I can do in the reply what I cannot do in the initial post of the thread.

Is this a known bug in yout forum software?

Yet, I can do it just fine in a response to the same thread using the same image link:

View attachment 8105

Makes no sense.

Just take the image's URL and put it inside the Image Tags. So it looks like this:

[IMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/480sparky/Photography/Daisy207Post.jpg[/IMG]

I am fairly confident that it's because TPF hates freedom.

Just take the image's URL and put it inside the Image Tags. So it looks like this:

[IMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/480sparky/Photography/Daisy207Post.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks - I'm aware of

I am fairly confident that it's because TPF hates freedom.

Well, whatever the reason, you would think a photography site would work a little harder at displaying photos properly.
It is better than it used to be, but there is still room for improvement.

The first one is a link to an image hosted elsewhere, the second is an attachment here at TPF.

The first one is a link to an image hosted elsewhere, the second is an attachment here at TPF.

I don't think you're quite getting the point.

The manner with with I posted the photo in the reply post (post #2) is not possible in the first post of a thread - any first post of any thread - and I wanted to know why.
It makes no sense.

Actually I think the only reason your second post is working is because the file is now partly present on the system (ego it can retrieve it locally because its already appearing in the first post). Where as if you'd used a different photo it shouldn't have worked.

The point on the tickbox has come up before as something that needs its default setting changed for uploads to the site.

I'm confused about a few things recently....I have seen the change with a photo posted appearing as the #2 shot shows with the banner below the photo. So I am guessing there is now more than one way to upload a photo? The other thing I have noticed, that is a recent change, is when not logged in many of the posted photos are unable to be viewed unless one is logged in.

Anyhoo...Love the photo!!!

Interesting observation Georgie - I've not noticed the lack of ability to view (what I assume are) hosted photos when not logged in - mostly because when I view the site I'm always logged in. I'll raise that with the site admin and see if we can't allow hosted photos to display to all viewer and not just those logged in.

Yes, the photo is a hyperlink, then when you slect it, you are directed to the log in area and says you must be logged in. I know some sites operate like this, and I imagine its with a reason, it just seems somehting new for this one.

Most reactions

Back