Digital back for SLR Camera?

Alee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, i'm new here. i wanted to get a digital camera, but i think SLR cameras are better, but i don't want to spend millions on developing. and i would like to be able to view my pictures before i get them printed etc.

so i was wondering is it possible to get a digital back for an SLR camera (possibly the Canon A1) and how much does it cost?

Thanks a lot!!!
:D

- Alee

Unfortunately that technology doesn't yet exist in a 35mm sized package.

Rumor is Leica is bringing one out, and sketchier rumor says Nikon is bringing out a new body that will take interchangeable film and digital backs, but I've seen nothing firm in either case.

To my knowledge, the only digital backs are for medium and large format cameras, and they start at around $12,000 U.S.

So, what's a photonut to do? Buy something like a Digital Rebel (EOS 300D) and hone your skills for the time when interchangeable backs become an affordable reality. I don't think it'll be as long a wait as many people think. :)

I'd put money down that once you started using digital (especially in the 35mm range) that you'd never use the film back...even if they made it.

Thanks guys, i appriciate your help.
:D

- Alee

I swear just the other day I saw that in a magazine, in the ads in the back, digital backs for maybe 3 or 4 35mm film cameras, but they were just as expensive if not more than most digital SLRs, I'll see if i can find that magazine when i get a free chance today...haha...spare time...yeah right...

~Andrew~

That one has been kicking around for 4 or 5 years now in various forms. None have ever made it to market. As I recall, it never got above 640x480 resolution and wasn't going to be much cheaper than a dedicated digital camera of equal resolution.

Nice idea, but I don't think it'll ever fly. The monitor hanging off the bottom is new since I last saw this though, so maybe the project isn't totally dead yet.

Time will tell. :)

Most reactions

Back