Digital image backups... new(ish) online service?

sothoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm very paranoid about losing digital images. I'm curious how everyone else does this...

Do you backup files on CD, DVD, cards, hard drives, or do you use an online service like Amazon S3?

I just signed up for Amazon S3 and use Jungle Disk to sync my photo folder with Amazon's online server because it's so cheap (something like $0.15/gb stored per month). Nice thing is that I could use this to backup stuff when I'm on vacation so even if my laptop gets destroyed the stuff is still online.

The downside is that it takes 8 days for my PC to upload all of my RAW photos to the internet.

Suggestions for a better way?

I use external Drives. Hard drives are so afforadable these days, it's the best way to go. I shoot all RAW as well. I don't find the online services convenient due to to the file size and upload speeds.

I have a back-up drive connected to my network which is always running, and I also have an external drive that I update once a month that sits on a shelf. If you shoot professionally, it's not a bad idea to store a copy offsite as well.

Re: Vacation, An external drive (especially the 1.8" or 2" type) is very convenient to carry with you on vacation.

hope that helps

I use hard drives as well. I have a Buffalo Terastation that's set up to mirror all of my data. That way, if one drive fails, my data is still safe and sound.

I do use spideroak for free online photo sharing storage it’s the prototype photo sharing made easy. I just upload the photos which I want to share, create a ShareRoom with a unique password and invite my guests. They don't even have to register to see it. Isn’t it cool? :sexywink:

I just love it because with SpiderOak's online storage of 2 GB and photo sharing capabilities, my photos and any other files are safe and secure and ready to become available to the world. :thumbup:

currently, i only use CDs. but i hate doing it this way. there are soo many of the damned things. once you find a way to file them (binder with specialized pages works best) it's alright, but still a hassle. i find i use up to 10 CDs every time i back up.

wouldn't recommend using an online service. no bad experiences, but their servers could crash just as easily. i wouldn't want to depend on a service like this.

i'd get an external HD or two. doesn't physically grow, pretty hard to corrupt/crash, fairly cheap, simple, quick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back