Digital Medium Format Help!

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently using a Nikon D3X. I was wondering if its worth upgrading to medium format. I've been trying to do a lot of research at comparing the two, but haven't found anything solid. Its also very confusing on which Digital Backs are the best. I've been finding p30 Digital backs for cheaper than p21+ DB's. Is the p21+ newer?

I was also thinking about going to hasselblad. They currently have a H3Dii 31MP for 12K new on BH right now with 80mm lens.

Any recommendations or any additional information would be awesome!

Thanks,
Eric

I'm currently using a Nikon D3X. I was wondering if its worth upgrading to medium format. I've been trying to do a lot of research at comparing the two, but haven't found anything solid. Its also very confusing on which Digital Backs are the best. I've been finding p30 Digital backs for cheaper than p21+ DB's. Is the p21+ newer?

I was also thinking about going to hasselblad. They currently have a H3Dii 31MP for 12K new on BH right now with 80mm lens.

Thanks,
Eric

I find it puzzling you are asking this here. Anyway, the new Leica S2 has everyone's tongue wagging. Stunning images.

What do you shoot? There are very, very few circumstances that are not up to task for a camera like the D3X.

Where should I be asking this? As I said I couldn't find much info anywhere...

Thanks,
Eric

I find it puzzling you are asking this here. Anyway, the new Leica S2 has everyone's tongue wagging. Stunning images.

Thanks,
Eric

If you post in the beginner's section, you'll get the most (asinine) responses.

I am also very puzzled by the fact that you would ask a photo question on a photo forum.
:lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao:

What do you shoot? There are very, very few circumstances that are not up to task for a camera like the D3X.

Big Mike, I have to disagree with you. This is the way it was put to me when I finally decided to get into digital/back into commercial studio work: DSLRs are taking the place of film MF. Digital MF are taking the place of film LF.

Now, that is only true to a certain point. But I would say that with a good digital MF you can take a lot of jobs away from 8x10 film shooters.

I do agree with your question to the OP though: what do you shoot?

Look at my website : Eric DosSantos Photography home
Looking to get heavily into fashion and commercial work.

From what i've seen used as far as DMF's. I'm seeing that I can get a good DMF hasselblad H3Dii for about the same price as my D3X and one of my lenses... So I figure if its better then why not. That is only IF it is better.

As far as iso performance, never shoot my d3x over 200. And at 100 95% of the time. And frames per second is limited by my profotos.... so it seems like it would be the right route to take.

Thanks for the responses thus far :)

Looking at your gallery you don't need MF for what you shoot

But I would say that with a good digital MF you can take a lot of jobs away from 8x10 film shooters.
So how many 8x10 film shooters are getting jobs now? I'd guess that it's a very, very small percentage compared to MF (film or digital) or high end DSLR.

Fashion photography? Gonna print on billboards?

If that's in your immediate future and you have the dough, and it seems you do, I say go for it. I mean you've already spent thousands on your D3X/D2X, that Elinchrom Octa which I gather costs more than a high end lens. I strongly suggest you find somewhere/someone where you can actually get your hands on a Hasselblad/Mamiya and see if it's for you.

Btw, I like your page layout.

Thanks,
Eric

This seems to be more of an 'amateur' site.

Anyway, the Leica S2 is going to be top dog in the MF field soon and probably for a long time to come.

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/s_system/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-s2-first.shtml

I'm only just getting back in the business but from what I have been told of how things are today, you don't need MF for most of fashion work.

Commercial is another story but, again, what kind of commercial? There are a lot of different types of commercial photo.

But I would say that with a good digital MF you can take a lot of jobs away from 8x10 film shooters.
So how many 8x10 film shooters are getting jobs now? I'd guess that it's a very, very small percentage compared to MF (film or digital) or high end DSLR.

TBH, I haven't even looked into 8x10 digital because I never shot anything bigger than 8x10 film for clients so I don't even know if it exists. But if it does, they are now getting the jobs that the larger LF shooters used to get. Or so I would assume.

Now, it is wrong to assume that the larger the format, the fewer jobs are available. There are so many different types of photography out there. And some will always require the highest quality image possible.

So, even though they are fewer jobs for camera over the 8x10 format, there are also fewer photogs available to fulfill the demand. And that means it all works out in the end.

Kind of. of course.

This seems to be more of an 'amateur' site.

Anyway, the Leica S2 is going to be top dog in the MF field soon and probably for a long time to come.

Leica Camera AG - S-System

Leica S2 First Impressions

For that kind of money I would take an H4/60 with its 40.2×53.7 mm 60.1meg sensor over a 30X45 mm 36.5 meg sensor. There is medium format and then there is MEDIUM FORMAT.

Most reactions

Back