What's new

Digital SLR Specs & Purchasing Advice

SuperSpark

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been doing Photography for about 2 years now and am one of my school's yearbook photographers. The model they use is I think a Nikon D300, however it's the school's so I can only really use it on yearbook assignments.

I am currently looking into buying a good Digital SLR myself to continue photography after I graduate, but I'm kinda broke. I'm trying to invest in one but I'm not sure what to get. The highest I'm willing to buy one for is probably around $500.

What brands/models do you recommend and why? Also, what specs should I look for and what are good amounts of said specs?
 
Last edited:
If your school has a D300 for you to use, you're going to hate that budget of yours when it comes time to shop. The D300 is a ~$1200 body alone. With $500, you will be able to get a camera in the range of a Nikon D60 or one of the Canon Rebel series. I don't know enough about the Canon's though. My advice would be to:

a) Save up
b) Ask the school if they want to invest in a new camera and sell you their D300
c) Get what you can for $500 but look at used first. There are great deals to be had.
 
I've been doing Photography for about 2 years now and am one of my school's yearbook photographers. The model they use is I think a Nikon D300, however it's the school's so I can only really use it on yearbook assignments.

I am currently looking into buying a good Digital SLR myself to continue photography after I graduate, but I'm kinda broke. I'm trying to invest in one but I'm not sure what to get. The highest I'm willing to buy one for is probably around $500.

What brands/models do you recommend and why? Also, what specs should I look for and what are good amounts of said specs?
In your price range specs won't matter a whole lot and any camera brand will be about the same as far as specs, image quality, and features.

All will be fairly limited since a budget of $500 is the bottom of the entry-level market segment.

You can find the specs for current Nikon cameras at nikonusa.com, current Canon cameras at canonusa.com, and Pentax at pentaximaging.com.

$500 will get you a basic entry level digital SLR with an 18-55 mm kit lens with a little left over for some basic accessories like a camera bag and a memory card or two.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271171527&sr=8-1#productPromotions"]Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics[/ame]

Nikon | D3000 SLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens | 25462

Nikon D3000 DX-format Digital SLR Kit w/ 18-55mm DX VR Zoom Lens | BuyDig.com
 
Last edited:
Nikon D3000 + Kit Lens, Canon Rebel XS + Kit Lens, Pentax K-x(good entry level, has HD video.)


You could also try Sony or Lolympus. Either that or buy a used higher quality body if you don't mind used gear.
 
The best combo for $500 that I can think of would be a nikon d80 + a 50mm f1.8 af lens. You should be able to find that combo used for $500 or less.
 
What would I do with $500?

I'd get myself a used Pentax K10D with a few Manual Focus K-mount primes. For the following reasons.

* SMC Kmount Pentax are good performers (not necessarily true for zooms)
* Kmount are 100% compatible with current Pentax bodies (including K10D). Yes the aperture linkage is still included in all their bodies
* Kmount lenses are plentiful and inexpensive
* You can use screwmount M42 lenses with adapter (but no auto aperture)
* In body Image Stabilization means even old lenses are stabilized.
(yes I've heard from the in lens IS camp... but on a budget this is good enough)
* The K10D (and K20D) have OPTICAL prism viewfinders... NOT penta-mirrors.

But that's just me...... some can't or refuse to not have AF.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom