Do I need permission from people in the photo before uploading to flickr?

brandibell said:
When you say party is it a private party or public venue? I think if it's a public venue it maybe different but in private I believe you need a model release.

In the US even at a private party you can take someones picture and you don't need permission to post it.

private gathering = depending on who the people are Fair use, however, model release could save you hassle if something were to arise.

What if they said 'Do not post it online'? Are you still allowed to post it?

You need permission
I doubt it.
There is also the issue of whether the photos were taken legally. If you invaded someone's 'reasonable right to privacy' or were trespassing etc., then it may affect the case..

However, years ago, published nude photos of Jackie Kennedy appeared in a Photo magazine that I have in my collection. They were taken while the photographer was trespassing on an island in the Medditerranean.

It seems therefore that trespassing is irrelevant.

skieur

Say if I take a group photo at a party or something, the copyright of this photo belongs to me, however do I have consent from the each person before I can upload the photo to public photo sharing site such as flickr? Or I can do whatever with the photo because I took them.

You are from Australia and most of people responding here is from US and Canada, so I would ask on a national forum to verify with local laws. As an example, most of what is told here is not true in Italy.

It seems therefore that trespassing is irrelevant.

skieur

consider that a newspaper may take the risk of legal actions if the photos are sufficiently interesting.

As long as you are in a public area there is no need to ask for permission even for commercial usage, but just out of courtesy you do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back