Do you have any Blurb projects going on?

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am working to make my first book at Blurb. Have thought about some other book projects down the road. One will be a top of the line hardcover 25 book limited edtion I will market to the rare book libraires. (Possibly) I still have to see what type of work Blurb puts out. Every print on demand printer I have tried does BW with an off color cast to it. Luckily for me I only have 1 book that has lots of BW. The rest of my projects are all color.

The limited edtion book will be pretty costly to produce. Maybe $245 each. The books look nicer if a photo has a blank white page facing it. But every page cost $. But hand printed books may have a better chance at getting their foot into the door. But it beats hand printing the books like I did with my first limited edition book. I will poll the special collections dept to see if the commercial printed book will be accepted into their collections. I only place my work into the special collections as of now.

What have you produced or have plans for with your own book publishing?

Last edited:
I think "Special" is a good term for your work!

"Foto Graphy"

The life of a fauxtograpgher.

Put my best ****test work and call it art!

Blurb makes very nice books, but I was not 100% happy with the printing in the most recent thing I got from them. They dont seem to have handled the large areas of black particularly gracefully, but I haven't looked into it very closely.

Does Blurb still print books using 4 color, CMYK, off-set presses?

Last edited:
blurb is great for personal photos but it is not a professional lab/printer. I would not print a clients album there.

Does Blurb still prints books using 4 color, CMYK, off-set presses?

Offset is very pricey for even a hundred copies. I think they use digital presses, but I don't know.

blurb is great for personal photos but it is not a professional lab/printer. I would not print a clients album there.

Do you have a good short run, print on demand printer?

Blurb was one of the first short-run digital halftone printers.
Though I couldn't find any info on Blurb's web site I have found out that Blurb uses HP Indigo digital presses. I do not know which model(s) they use.

To prepare images for Blurb, you should optimize your image files for digital halftone and soft-proof for CMYK reproduction.

you could but only if you are really familiar with the way the printing will turn out so you can make appropriate adjustments for better quality. But No, blurb is not going to make high quality limited additional books of the type of quality the OP is thinking about. I was a bit disappointed with the quality given the price it cost to produce it.

Blurb was one of the first short-run digital halftone printers.
Though I couldn't find any info on Blurb's web site I have found out that Blurb uses HP Indigo digital presses. I do not know which model(s) they use.

To prepare images for Blurb, you should optimize your image files for digital halftone and soft-proof for CMYK reproduction.

I didn't do any of that. Don't know how. Will have to study it up if my books look bad. I used their book software and my jpegs. Hopefully their software will make it right. If not, then I just spent some more tuition $ on my photo education.

you could but only if you are really familiar with the way the printing will turn out so you can make appropriate adjustments for better quality. But No, blurb is not going to make high quality limited additional books of the type of quality the OP is thinking about. I was a bit disappointed with the quality given the price it cost to produce it.

I am hoping I can find some place that can make nice books for a few hundred each book. I hate hand printing books, And it is limiting as well. When you go over an inch thick they don't bind as well. The duo photo paper is thick. Just a hassle having to do all by hand. I would like to get 25 books per run of nice quality work.

I did a blurb book Hardcover, ImageWrap Large Format Landscape 13x11 inches (33x28 cm) , 200 pages Premium Paper, lustre finish ProLine Black End Sheets cost
$147.00 after 20% I like it. Color look good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back