Do you think displaying EXIF data would be handy on the forum?

Personally I find exif data to be useful for multiple various reasons, especially the lens info and the f/stop.

Also noting another post in this thread, I edit all of my photos in Photoshop and export them as jpeg files, and they all still contain the exif data.

I generally give such info from my original pictures as I have subject to how much time I have to write-up my posts. I stay within the 2mb limit for uploads, so most of my images are edited (re-sized and then re-compressed really). Although most of my work is done in Corel Paintshop Pro, I sometimes use other programs. I often don't know what EXIF info is brought forward from my original picture and what is replaced. If your new automated software, reports incorrectly, I cannot guarantee that I will notice the issue and post corrected info. But in the end, I doubt if anyone will care that much. . . . .

Like a lot of things, after a while we won't even notice it unless we are looking for it.

Last edited:
I saw the other notice that was closed for replies, but for education and information, people can learn without asking "How did you do that" for some simple and at the same time essential information. If the overall outcome is making the forum more informative, for anyone who cares to look, I think it's a positive.

I tried to have my name changed from what I used to sign up many years ago. There was something about consistency and continuity. My request was denied. OK, now anyone can see my name.

As for settings and lens, there's nothing top secret in helping someone else, if they care. :cheerful:

You're all going to find out I use some pretty old cameras, and they still work very well.

running jumping chipmunk clover 5MP V2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I modified your post and inserted your attachment so it would show the EXIF information. It won't show it unless the image is inserted into the post.

I saw the other notice that was closed for replies, but for education and information, people can learn without asking "How did you do that" for some simple and at the same time essential information. If the overall outcome is making the forum more informative, for anyone who cares to look, I think it's a positive.

As for settings and lens, there's nothing top secret in helping someone else, if they care. :cheerful:

You're all going to find out I use some pretty old cameras, and they still work very well.
This is what kind of bothers me about this. I agree with you, it's positive and quite educational for those who are willing to take the time to learn. When someone is so upset about this change to the point of threatening to leave the forum over exif data being displayed (in addition to that same user taking issue with members simply sharing their photography here in a photography forum and calling it "self indulgent" with zero accountability even though they regularly share their own work here), it just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
This is what kind of bothers me about this. I agree with you, it's positive and quite educational for those who are willing to take the time to learn. When someone is so upset about this change to the point of threatening to leave the forum over exif data being displayed (in addition to that same user taking issue with members simply sharing their photography here in a photography forum and calling it "self indulgent" with zero accountability even though they regularly share their own work here), it just doesn't make sense to me.

Bingo! You absolutely hit the nail on the head there mate! 👏

I modified your post and inserted your attachment so it would show the EXIF information. It won't show it unless the image is inserted into the post.
I'm not sure I understand, but maybe it I try again some day and I see the data, I'll know I got it. Inserted as an attachment. Oh and then hit INSERT. I'm a senior, I should remember that at least until tomorrow morning.
:encouragement:
Blackhawk Bridge Iowa North 4MP Viv.jpg

Blackhawk Bridge, Lansing Iowa. One of the last old iron bridges left on the Mississippi. (ps it's a stitched image) Now that I look, it reminds me of the Erector Set I had when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Yup, it's showing up right under your image.

But clicking on the image takes you to Flickr and you can see it there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back