Do you think the sun in this image could have caused damage to camera?

Superfluous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a mirrorless camera. Was out shooting and snapped a few pics like this with the sun in the frame. For this particular picture, the shutter speed was 1/800 and aperture f4. It was around 230pm. I wasn't really thinking and am wondering if you guys think this could have damaged the mirrorless camera/sensor/shutter at all?

Would I be able to tell right away in subsequent pictures if something was wrong? Everything else from the rest of the day looked okay.

Thanks for the input. Will be sure to not point in the direction of the sun in the future.

Last edited:
Probably not. I've taken a lot worse than this, but it's pretty easy to test. Take a snapshot with the body and lens of a well and evenly lit gray card filling the entire frame and look for any abnormalities. Can use a fairly uniform wall if you don't have a 18% gray card. Then take the lens off and take another shot just to be sure. Note: If you see some small dots don't panic, it could be a dirty sensor.

I've taken many images including a bright sun in the scene with no problems.

An image on the sensor in focus is not the same as focussing the sunlight into a single spot, as when using a magnifying glass to burn ants (not that I ever did that as a kid)

No, your camera should be fine.

Not at all. I have shot thousands of pics like that, and even much longer lenses and never had any issues. Beautiful shot btw. No need to shoot with the sun in the back in the future!

The most dangerous light for a camera is laser light - strobe and laser beams can cause damage if they enter the lens whilst you're taking a photo, though the most likely is if you are using liveview mode or taking a video - laser beams in those situations can burn pixels and cause damage to the sensor.

A shot like you have there of the sun won't cause any damage to the camera at all with those settings. Now if you were to point it at the sun and leave the shutter open for a really long period of time you could cause some damage; but you'd have to be very intentional.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I guess I was mostly worried since the camera is mirrorless and the sensor is exposed even while framing. I didnt take a particular long time framing the shot, but was still nervous after thinking about it a bit. Have taken some pictures of the wall and haven’t noticed anything unusual.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I guess I was mostly worried since the camera is mirrorless and the sensor is exposed even while framing. I didnt take a particular long time framing the shot, but was still nervous after thinking about it a bit. Have taken some pictures of the wall and haven’t noticed anything unusual.
I too shoot mirrorless - so no worries!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back