Doc Squire's Spire

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had to decompress yesterday after the kids went home from the holiday. I went for a drive out into the flood plane and it was a nice day.

Came across this old little cemetery in the middle of a corn field and made the hike over to take a look.

cemetery_zps684fedd4.jpg

Most of the stones are very old with dates going back 150 years or more. The very ornate marker in the middle belongs to Hannah, wife of Doc Cyrus Squire. Hannah died in 1881. The spire in the back right is her husband's marker (Doc Squire) who proceeded Hannah into the afterlife. Like the two stones at the far right the Doc's is definitely a 20th century maker and so not the original stone I assume placed by Hannah.

Got to wonder how the Doc managed to have such as ostentatious new stone erected so long after his passing.

Joe

Nice! Doc must have been quite a guy!! History like this kind of stuff is fascinating...Thanks for sharing!

Its very nice but I think the foreground distrackts from the beautiful stones. The foreground has a nice texture in itself. Its to me like two pictures, two points of focus, that texture and the stones. So for me if the stones have your interest I would go a bit closer and put them in the buttom third.

Love it Joe. These family plots are everywhere around here. Most are as neglected as this one, or more so. Thanks for sharing

Love it Joe. These family plots are everywhere around here. Most are as neglected as this one, or more so. Thanks for sharing

Thanks, this one really is in the middle of a corn field -- it'd be invisible during the the summer behind those corn stalks.

Joe

Thanks, this one really is in the middle of a corn field -- it'd be invisible during the the summer behind those corn stalks.

Joe

I did some searching around online after your initial post and there's actually a website that discusses this particular cemetery. Apparently, some guys went in and cleaned it up and did some repairs to a few of the stones that were cracked/in danger of falling a few years back. Quite a "feel good about humanity" story about people showing respect and doing something they'll never really get an recognition for...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back