Does camera resolution affect image quality?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a somewhat confusing question, but I'll try my best to write it out properly.

My digital camera (Canon A520) has a bunch of different photo size ("resolutions") that I can choose. Stuff like 640x480 and 1024x768.

My question is, does the resolution affect the quality of the image? I'm actually aiming for small photos (nothing bigger than 640x480, and even smaller ones). So if I choose a huge resolution like 1024x768 then reduce it (on my computer software) to 640x480, will this give me higher quality than simply taking a photo with 640x480?

i think the quality may be different but the difference between the two you won't notice it. Go for the smaller resolution setting on the camera if that's what you're aiming for and save yourself some time by not having to reduce them

For the computer screen you won't notice a difference unless you try to make them bigger with software. If you are printing them you should have the a520 maxed for 8x10's and at least at 3mp for 4x6 and 5x7's.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice! Just to clarify, when you say things like 4x6 and 5x7, is that in inches?

Yes, that's inches. 4x6 is 10x15 I believe.

I'm not sure what alexecho means by 4x6 is 10x15 (maybe 1000x1500 pixels?)...But yes, I meant as far as PRINT size if you were to print them out... Standard photo sizes are usually 4"x6", sometimes 5"x7". If you're shooting something you might print, leave it at it's highest setting... unless you know you'll only be making smaller prints, then you could go with around 2000x1500 (3mp) for 4x6's and 5x7's.

- damian

damian5000 said:
I'm not sure what alexecho means by 4x6 is 10x15 (maybe 1000x1500 pixels

I was a bit vaigue, wasn't I?

It was a direct reponse to Keller's question "when you say things like 4x6 and 5x7, is that in inches?"
I interpreted that to mean in inches rather than cm, as we were discussing prints at that point.

My reply therefore meant 4x6 INCHES is 10x15 CENTIMETRES... In pixels that size would be 472x708 PIXELS (I think).

Sorry for adding to the confusion! Hope I've made myself a little clearer this time.

That's my philosophy now too--max on everything just in case. I once lowered resolution to get more on the memory card, but regretted it when I ended up with shots I'd have liked to have printed in 11x14, but couldn't really since they were 640x480. I didn't think it'd be a big deal--I was just taking snapshots, afterall, but it was!

I like to use the max. res. also because I crop background out a lot and don't often have to resize what's left. Then I have more options for printing them.

michelejo said:
That's my philosophy now too--max on everything just in case. I once lowered resolution to get more on the memory card, but regretted it when I ended up with shots I'd have liked to have printed in 11x14, but couldn't really since they were 640x480. I didn't think it'd be a big deal--I was just taking snapshots, afterall, but it was!

I like to use the max. res. also because I crop background out a lot and don't often have to resize what's left. Then I have more options for printing them.

Ditto.. Same here.

Steve :thumbup:

Something weird I've noticed is that when I have a big file, and I reduce it down, it seemed to lose some quality? For instance, when I half the size of a 1280x1024 file, I thought it looked a little worse.

I use MS Paint to reduce all my files. Is it just an optical illusion, or does it actually go down in quality?

the quality loss is the sofware compression. use photoshop for reducing your images and set the quality to max so you dont get any pixel loss. ive used PIXresizer for a couple of images that where taken in high quality and it just wrecks the pictures.

hope this helps a little.

Shaun

Most reactions

New Topics

Back