Dog Park C&C Please :)

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello again everyone! Just looking for some C&C on these two photos from a couple days ago at the Dog Park. Personally, the Golden Retriever is my favorite :)

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

Thanks!

Toga

They are sharp and well-exposed but very badly framed.
Why is there all that space on the right in the first picture?
Why did you cut off his tongue in the second while there is all that space on either side?

Come on, do some work.
Look at good pictures and see what they ahve in common and then redo these.

That is a lot of tongue going on....these pups probably have had a good time romping freely and are exercised, but I'd wait for the cool down next time to have the faces without what my eye sees as an overpowering of the image with the distraction of all that tongue.

There first is actually fairly cure, though. I might have framed a bit to the left, but still... cute. Happy puppy, happy moment, and you can feel that.

BTW, one tip... don't get too close with wide angle lenses. Look at the second dog carefully and you'll see his face is kinda distorted. (plus when you get too close they'll lick your lens. Messy) :)

A little sharpening and constrast wouldn't hurt either.

I agree with everyones points, and I appreciate the critique! This was at out local dog park (other peoples dogs), so getting them to slow down wasn't too much of an option, but I will definitely work on it during my next visit! As for the framing, I agree that both have quite a bit of tongue, its why I like the second one so much, but on the first one I could see a bit less adding to it. Also, on the first one, I do have a version where I cropped out some of the empty space on the right, but I wanted to post the originals to see what you all would think/see if cropping it was the right decision :)

Perhaps, on the topic of framing, you all think this one is a bit better? Personally I didn't like it because of how centered the pup was, hence my not posting it.

IMG_0837.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Toga

Oh, and since I didn't mention it before, these were shot with the kit 18-55 (I wish I had a proper wide angle lens!), I will definitely keep an eye on keeping the subject a bit further away next time :)

Last edited:
These were shot really close with an 18mm lens... the distortion on the tongues is ridiculous, unless you are trying to make it funny and cartoon like. Shooting in a vertical format would have allowed for no body parts cropping. At least they are sharp and in focus, since wideangle lenses have such a phenomenal DOF!

EDIT: DONT use a wideangle lens for portraiture (and these are portraits) unless you are trying to turn the subject into a cartoon! Not flattering at all!

I think they would have worked better in portrait mode rather than landscape but ... just my tuppence worth, I might be completely wrong!

When you shoot up close with a wide angle lens setting you expand your near to far perspective which is making their tongues look like something out of a Heavy Metal Concert lol. Use a normal to moderate tele lens setting to get a more pleasing perspective. Looks like a really fun day.

Keep pushing that button :)

These were shot really close with an 18mm lens... the distortion on the tongues is ridiculous, unless you are trying to make it funny and cartoon like. Shooting in a vertical format would have allowed for no body parts cropping. At least they are sharp and in focus, since wideangle lenses have such a phenomenal DOF!

EDIT: DONT use a wideangle lens for portraiture (and these are portraits) unless you are trying to turn the subject into a cartoon! Not flattering at all!

Just because I want to be taking better photos in the future, could you point out what you mean by distortion on the tongues? The photos were taken with an 18-55 Canon kit lens, and at least the one of the golden was a couple feet out. I'm having a hard time picking out what might qualify as distortion and what doesn't and would appreciate some clarification. Is it that their tongues are too long? Because at least in the case of the australian, that dog had one long tongue! :p

I think they would have worked better in portrait mode rather than landscape but ... just my tuppence worth, I might be completely wrong!

These were both shot in Av mode on the T3i, that camera will never see the use of a creative mode :p I'm still learning the camera (obviously), but I know I'll end up a better photographer if I just stick to the Av, Tv, and full manual modes.

Toga

Sorry Toga - I think the word "mode" misled you there - I meant turn your camera on its side and take the photo in portrait orientation - longways you would have had more space to frame your shot without cutting off the tongue :thumbup:

Just because I want to be taking better photos in the future, could you point out what you mean by distortion on the tongues? The photos were taken with an 18-55 Canon kit lens, and at least the one of the golden was a couple feet out. I'm having a hard time picking out what might qualify as distortion and what doesn't and would appreciate some clarification. Is it that their tongues are too long? Because at least in the case of the australian, that dog had one long tongue! :p

These were both shot in Av mode on the T3i, that camera will never see the use of a creative mode :p I'm still learning the camera (obviously), but I know I'll end up a better photographer if I just stick to the Av, Tv, and full manual modes.

Toga

do a self portrait at 18mm with the lens as close to your face as it was to the dogs.... you will see what we mean. Your nose will look twice as large as normal! The distortion will even pull your face a little and give you a slight snout! :)

The tongues are HIGHLY exaggerated... magnified... etc.. they were not that large in real life, trust me! :0

Nope... completely 100% right! :)

Most reactions

Back