DONATING: Advanced photographic chemistry set

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

If you are a film photographer interested in experimenting with compounding your own developers, experimenting with dichromated colloids, or a starting place in experimental and alternative processes, I have a basic chemistry set consisting of over $200 worth of raw materials which I am willing to donate to any qualified person who might be interested, and is able to pick it up in the Billings, MT area (about 2 hours from Yellowstone National Park).

Included is a compiled MSDS and a textbook on darkroom chemistry. Please feel free to contact me for a detailed manifest.

IMPORTANT: This is an advanced kit containing materials that are toxic and highly oxidizing. I will require that you speak with me first regarding your qualifications to use it safely. I'm not going to require you have a PhD in chemical engineering, but working experience around darkroom chemicals and lab safety is essential.

I wish I was close. I like playing with different developers. I am playing with the Caffenol formula now. Not hazardous at all. Coffee, wash soda and vitamin C powder. Believe or not, it works great. Would love to have this but to far for me to travel.

I bet you get some beautiful stuff from the National Park.

Richard

Good form Unpopular!
way to rock that holiday spirit!
we need more like you doing stuff like this, it could be trendsetting!

The kit isn't going anywhere. If anyone has even a remote plan on getting in this direction, I'll just return it to storage. No hurry.

Richard - I am very familiar with so-called "cafenol". The developing agent is gallic acid, tannic acid and a few others which escape me (migraines). Vitamin C is a developer in itself, provided it is in a basic solution. One problem with cafenol is that it lacks a restrainer. A few grams per liter of bromide should improve fog considerably.

There are a zillion developers out there that haven't been looked into much. Syringol in liquid smoke is a likely candidate, as well as a number of phenolic compounds in tobacco.

I've wondered about Urishiol, but I'm not about to run a bunch of poison oak through a wheat juicer to find out.

Thanks unpopular for the info. About the closest I got to a chemistry class was walking by the door. I like to play with developers but only if someone gives me the formula. I know nothing about dangers or ingredients of any.
I have been a film user for years but only used what came in a can or bag for the chemicals. I admire someone that knows what the stuff is.

I've all ways wanted to travel through Montana and the other states around you. Even thought about Alaska, but age has crept up on me and don't see that happening.

Best to you and thanks

Richard

I would love to be conisder for it if I lived closer. I am into film right now and I am learning about how to develop my own film. But I dont have enough money to buy supplies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back