Downtown

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent an evening in one of my favorite Colorado towns, Salida, this weekend. Broke out the camera after dinner for a shot of the river from the bridge downtown (second), and while that didn't turn out as I hoped for, the after-thought shot of downtown turned out better than expected. C&C always welcome.

Salida Town at Night by matt gates, on Flickr

Salida night river by matt gates, on Flickr

I really like the composition on the River shot and would love to see it with some snow on the trees and banks. it’s a great leading line to the mountain behind. It’s a bit dark in this light though.

Both came out nice, I think. It looks like they do some serious kayak racing there with all the gates in the water.

Is that what those are? I was wondering but assumed it was just marking the rocks for boating.

I quite like the star effects on the first.

Both came out nice, I think. It looks like they do some serious kayak racing there with all the gates in the water.

Is that what those are? I was wondering but assumed it was just marking the rocks for boating.

Zoomed in you can see the wires over the river that suspend the poles (or gates) and the kayakers go from left to right to go in between them, very much like downhill skiing. You should go there and get pics of the kayak races there, I bet they would be real good, looks like an excellent place for good rapids and a fun atmosphere to boot. Boaters are the friendliest people. Here's a pic of how they're used.

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-05-15-%C3%A0-16.02.13.png

I once went surf kayaking but unfortunately got stuck upside down in the damn thing with my head under water for rather longer than was comfortable. Suffice to say my wetsuit needed laundered and I've not been back since:D

I once went surf kayaking but unfortunately got stuck upside down in the damn thing with my head under water for rather longer than was comfortable. Suffice to say my wetsuit needed laundered and I've not been back since:D

Didn't anyone train you to "roll it upright" or "pop out"? That's some dangerous shi te if you've never done it before. Even professionals die from kayak mishaps like that. Glad to see you're ok, sorry about the suit. :boggled:

I really like the composition on the River shot and would love to see it with some snow on the trees and banks. it’s a great leading line to the mountain behind. It’s a bit dark in this light though.

I agree, definitely didn’t get what I wanted out of this shot. I attempted to stack exposures for the sky and foreground, but between the near full moon and bright lights from town, along with the many tree branches extending above the horizon, I couldn’t get a decent blend of exposures. The shot of the street was an afterthought after I tried a few of the river and turned out to be the best one I captured for the night. Lol

As others beat me to, that’s correct. In early summer they have a big whitewater festival that’s a lot of fun to go to and watch. (Of course it didn’t happen this year [emoji19])

Most reactions

Back