Dry Box/Humidity controlled storage

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Thinking of getting one since the weather here tends to be really humid. I know nothing about humidity controlled box though, like what are good brands, what kind of size, spec to look for, or things to watch out for etc. If I am going to be away for a long time, I guess I will need the electronic ones to maintain the humidity level. School me!

Edit: Is electric ones even necessary? Can I get a well-sealed box and stuff loads of drying agent in it?

If you are using your gear regularly I would recommend a dry cabinet (although cameras and lenses in daily use don't seem to need to be stored dry). I had three, roughly 120 L each, when I was in SE Asia, two were Toyos and one was the cheapest brand I could find. Photo shops are not always the cheapest places to buy, as you probably know. They all worked equally well, though the cheap hygrometers aren't to be trusted. If Toyos are not available, Dry-Cabi has a good reputation in the smaller sizes (67 L max).

Best,
Helen

It rains here all the time during the winter season, and super hot and humid in the summer so I think a dry cabinet is a need. I also have film cameras and negatives that I don't use anymore, it will be nice to keep them in good condition.

Well, I am in Taiwan so there are some big dry cabinet manufacturers here. They sell in big box retailers, gonna have a look today.

Another question. I was thinking, some people say that it's ok to get a bigger one in case your needs increase in the future. I agree. However, a bigger cabinet will also mean longer time/more effort for the cabinet to regulate the humidity. The performance of the engine will also have to be higher. So in the long run, it may not be the most efficient way to go. I read some advice that says get 2 medium or small sized cabinets rather than one big one. What do you think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back