Dual cameras with triggers

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using the Flashpoint/Godox lighting system. I currently only have a single trigger but for events I shoot with 2 bodies.

I have only shot a few events with OCF and what I have done so far is put the trigger on the "main" camera and use a speed light on the other camera. This has worked ok, but also has some draw backs.

If I had 2 triggers, but want to use the same OCF set up (if more than a single unit), how does that effect the OCF? Since they will be different cameras with different lenses I am sure the same settings will not work for both. Do I have to keep turning the triggers on and off based on the camera I am using? Does using the focus button prioritize which transmitter is sending info to the OCF?

If you are using TTL to set the OCF I would think that as long as only one of the cameras were metering at any point in time i.e. you're only holding the down the shutter on one camera, then the OCF would only receive the lighting adjustment commands from the active camera.
Now this is assuming that the triggers are only communicating with the OCF when the camera is metering/firing the flash. If on the other hand the trigger is always communicating it will likely cause each of the triggers to try to simultaneously control the OCF which will cause interference and random or no changes to happen.

If using manual adjustments then the OCF would have to be adjusted prior to each camera switch.

I typically shoot manual, occasionally TTL.

On manual if trigger A is set to on setting and trigger B is set to a second setting how does the flash know which one to follow?

I might just get one any how as they relatively inexpensive to play with. Plus I can always use the on/off switch. I was just hoping someone has already done this.

In manual, it won't know and doesn't care what settings the camera is set at.

As zombie said, using ttl it will talk to each individual light to get the settings.

As zombie said, using ttl it will talk to each individual light to get the settings.

Sorry, apparently I did not have my question phrased right.

Say on trigger A I need the power of the light set to 1/32 and on trigger B I only need 1/64 power to get proper exposure.

I realize that the individual camera settings have no effect when using manual flash.

Say on trigger A I need the power of the light set to 1/32 and on trigger B I only need 1/64 power to get proper exposure.

I realize that the individual camera settings have no effect when using manual flash.

No, I understood your question right. It MAY be possible in manual to hit the set button on the trigger you are on and it will switch the lights to the power for A and the to B. But you pretty much will have to fire the light an extra time to "dump" the power to get the 1/64 power when you have been shooting 1/32 and the same for the opposite direction.

No, I understood your question right. It MAY be possible in manual to hit the set button on the trigger you are on and it will switch the lights to the power for A and the to B. But you pretty much will have to fire the light an extra time to "dump" the power to get the 1/64 power when you have been shooting 1/32 and the same for the opposite direction.

Thank you.

So to make sure I am clear... I use the Pocketwizard system for my Nikon. I have 2 minitt1's and AC3 contoller's and multiple tt5's for the flash units.

This means at a wedding if every piece is set to the same frequency I can fire off one camera, switch to the other one and the tt5's attached to my flashes will fire off as that camera I am using is sending Yes?

Get a second controller. Or get a TTL GODOX/Flashpoint speedlight that can work as a controller.

The Flashpoint R2 TTL / GODOX V860TTL have a built in controller. So you can set the speedlight to off, and group A to 1/64. Then on the second body, the controller can be set for 1/32 power on group A.

Or you can buy a second Flashpoint/Godox TTL controller ( the $50 one that allows you to mount a speedlight on top of it ), and again, set group A to 1/64 and the flash will still fire.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Get a second controller. Or get a TTL GODOX/Flashpoint speedlight that can work as a controller.

The Flashpoint R2 TTL / GODOX V860TTL have a built in controller. So you can set the speedlight to off, and group A to 1/64. Then on the second body, the controller can be set for 1/32 power on group A.

Or you can buy a second Flashpoint/Godox TTL controller ( the $50 one that allows you to mount a speedlight on top of it ), and again, set group A to 1/64 and the flash will still fire.

I do have the Flashpoint Li-on flash and I could try that. I had not considered that option since I do not use it that way. In theory, that may be a better way for some of the shooting I plan on doing in the future.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm planning on using my R2 TTL like that on Saturday. I want to use the on-camera flash as a fill for two kicker/side lights -- if I just had a controller on camera, I'd be stuck without light if I have to quickly shoot something else.

Before, I actually had a flash bracket that I mounted a controller to with a sync cable connected to the camera. It worked, but added unnecessary weight/bulk. Now on the flashpoint stuffs the flash itself already has a built-in transmitter, so no need.

xSFYAAjBd7H1eLwzBsjdpeD9xejQR4EpCWNpY_x3L567snoyi4L0cujaI7OLC-Rn_F6O6dNv-TznlIw2Ve3WygTGOcg7-ITotVIoqAWTMGQHK9TQS6Fx4OAh3jdWh-LLyJ-Qf1j1TCrIhIaQ-X5gtGRAGvTrYykuS307LRtyy7udsPTjlXt7LMvG-hfDwLLKUO-NgpfnTTElwfSsAH47PB__-l4ri9cEKyhneSnmBqRnsM1QU63TgmJ2s64E36dEwieUUVi_2jyahsyZfWIxrhBUT0EGFbf9mCogBPlOLCyfFJ9tcd6cdPINjKK8qmwnQGR39d3TuTetOp-JtixaZJmravH4enQ3liy_qvrL0c7QsMkVNPCB_zI82fD6S478pwQYxunTz2hBlyu088XxbzqDqiiinP95QfLTRPp1D9qJ-ISDFHbiZRtv658JI7c2YsPRdLXVikqt83Cjrmtir9DhJ4PXnQr0ELImPJ7jeiXzQnKcfRKZZ3rb62n6CBi5lbbtFeD1CzKPQlN4fJMJJ45NcBo9v6kYZaSeA65QzTfrL5-vq-mcNW_Z30RfWpRN8hdTTZAnOfjJgUwbhNH1gvGUZvozGtaLe_IkzZnpi94xK4C82MI4bSc4LbBMorUxJas4jck_7hxHP4QPVOnjOkKaRDYbQXFOmZCAWrJLHfH8RZK9C5_h8RU=w703-h937-no

Most reactions

New Topics

Back