SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gloucester, MA

This lighthouse is funny to get to because the road to get there, and to the adjacent wildlife sanctuary, is littered with Private Road signs and Residents Only warnings which are false (I did my research). Apparently the owners of these seaside estates don’t want the other 98% to see the sea. Then, if you can get a spot in the tiny sanctuary lot, it’s a very precarious path to get to the jetty. Worth the hassle as it was a gorgeous night even though the expected sunset didn’t really pan out. The sky was on fire a few miles inland but nothing in the direction of where the sun set and too far for me to photograph from where I was...

6FD772E2-A693-4EFF-B404-101A9C4DE249.jpeg

Last edited:
My mom is from there. Our Aunt who passed away around 6 years ago, lived in one of those seaside estates her whole life. It was in total disarray as she was pretty poor but man, what a beautiful, crappy, house. When she passed, it went for a lot of money, even in it's current state. The new owners restored the 1800's home and it sold for over a million. I remember those signs and her spooky, huge tri level home. It was so bad, you couldn't even go up to the top floor. She was a hoarder too, could barely get through the home. She had a huge, crazy looking, original, oil burning furnace. She fished daily in order to eat. She lived 100 years, in that home, by herself until her passing.

My mom is from there. Our Aunt who passed away around 6 years ago, lived in one of those seaside estates her whole life. It was in total disarray as she was pretty poor but man, what a beautiful, crappy, house. When she passed, it went for a lot of money, even in it's current state. The new owners restored the 1800's home and it sold for over a million. I remember those signs and her spooky, huge tri level home. It was so bad, you couldn't even go up to the top floor. She was a hoarder too, could barely get through the home. She had a huge, crazy looking, original, oil burning furnace. She fished daily in order to eat. She lived 100 years, in that home, by herself until her passing.

There were several homes right on the ocean with for sale signs yesterday. I may have to hop on realtor.com to see the interiors! These were just beautiful and all looked fully restored. I’m sure most original owners have taken advantage of the current MA real estate bubble and cashed out.

Very nice image.....
. Thanks.....

Great angle! I really like this.
. Thanks!

A few more from this location. The first one may be a bit too heavy handed on the processing. It looks good on my tablet until I upload it here. Thoughts? Critique always welcome.
178D0AA7-F484-403C-B926-B11F922BEC67.jpeg

09FD7406-FD60-451D-872A-5A2998FDCA3D.jpeg

0ED4FD9A-03AF-475D-9FF4-A97F685451A1.jpeg

AC7B328A-CD79-438F-84D3-E6E7301651FE.jpeg

iPhone
EB40FCBD-E705-41E9-A458-E4609E88CEE7.jpeg

Very nice set. I remember that light house, it was just down the road as I recall. I think her and I fished real close to there. I remember catching a lot of fish with her and her long cane poles. Man she could skin a fish in no time. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time.

Very nice set. I remember that light house, it was just down the road as I recall. I think her and I fished real close to there. I remember catching a lot of fish with her and her long cane poles. Man she could skin a fish in no time. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time.

That’s a nice memory jc. I don’t know how long ago that house sold but out of curiosity I checked the listings on that street, Eastern Point Rd, and the cheapest is $2.5M. The most expensive is $8.795M!!!!! Oceanside pool, steam and sauna, bar, billiard room... the other “half” lives pretty sweet!

That’s a nice memory jc. I don’t know how long ago that house sold but out of curiosity I checked the listings on that street, Eastern Point Rd, and the cheapest is $2.5M. The most expensive is $8.795M!!!!! Oceanside pool, steam and sauna, bar, billiard room... the other “half” lives pretty sweet!
3 or 4 years ago, it may have went for more than I said. I'll have to call my Mom.

I prefer the original first shot for its crispness and clear colors, and #4 in the second set because...well it has a dog in it, any shot with a dog is a winner.

The difference between having money and really wealthy is a bigger gap then most imagine. I was told a story by a resident of Naples, FL about a man who bought an estate on the water in an exclusive part of town for high 7 figures, then spent a ton remodeling to his taste. His daughter liked it so much that he did the same for her two doors down. After she moved in she didn't have sufficient grass to walk her dog so he bought the estate between them had the house torn down and converted to yard for the pooch.

Most reactions

Back