Eat your Parsnips EAT THEM ALLLLLLL

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
But first START DIGGING!

8242721855_4dc25192b8_b.jpg

Ok. I don't know if these are parsnips - at least not the kind you put on your table. There are lots of carrot/parsnips out there that are toxic. So, maybe you wouldn't want to eat these parsnips. But whatever they are, they add nice green color to an otherwise very grey and brown winter, and when you step on them, they have that spicy scent like carrot greens.

As a Chef, it's hard to tell by the leafy tops alone, do you have any shots of the tuber?

The shot itself just looks like the ground of the forest moon of Endor.

They are white and carrot-like I'm 99% sure that they are Daucus. The flowers look right also, like this (tall plants in foreground), but with white clumps in late summer:

8243849932_bee144ce91_b.jpg

I just don't know enough about the genus to confidently consume it.

Last edited:
When I hear white, and carrot, I instantly think of parsnip. . .one of my favorites, oblique cut, tossed with lavender honey, some fresh rosemary, cracked black pepper and oven roasted, nom nom nom.

There are also a wide variety of heirloom type "carrots" and other root veggies that to the untrained eye, would be more scary to look at than eat.

Once the go to flower, the tuber is far too bitter and would be hard to tolerate.

Better to error on the side of caution when it comes to finding/eating "wild" veggies. . .besides, who knows how many deers have pee'd on em? lol.

I know they're a pain to get out of the ground, all leggy with lots of structure to them.

Most reactions

Back