Editing software advice/options?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. Looking for advice on what photo editing software is a good choice for a beginner? There seem to be so many different levles/versions of PhotoShop... I'm using a Nikon and plan to focus on landscapes and macro/abstract images if that makes a difference.

TIA

If you could give us more information, that might help us give you a better recommendation.

I really like Adobe Lightroom. It is a great program for organizing and cataloging my photos, but it's also a great 'workflow' software. I can do most of the things that I normally want to do with a photo.

Although, there are some things that Lightroom can't do, things like very specific editing or composting different images etc. And that is where I use Photoshop CS. It's a rather expensive program though, so for a beginner, Photoshop Elements might be a better choice.

So, if you want a software that will help you organize your images and do 'simple' edits. Especially if you take/have a large number of photos. I'd suggest Photoshop Lightroom.
But if you just want to have more control/options for editing a smaller number of images, then look at something like Photoshop Elements.

Paintshop Pro is pretty good if you're starting out, despite what it's called it's not a proffessional progrramme, it's cheap, simple to use but still an effective editor as lond as you don't need to dive too deep into the parameters.

For beginners, I recommend Elements and Lightroom. Don't get into other brands like PaintShop or whatever else people are trying to sell you, regardless of how "cheap" or "simple to use" they are. The reason is nobody in the professional industry uses those programs. Pros use Photoshop and Lightroom. So when you advance, they can help you with Photoshop and LR. And you can apply techniques you learn in Elements to higher versions of Photoshop. You can't apply techniques and shortcuts in other programs to Photoshop. If you use another program, there's limited professional support and it won't be worth the savings. Invest in learning photography and the software.

Adobe currently only offers 4 Photoshop versions - All 4 versions use the same RAW conversion edit rendering engine Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Note the ACR version Elements has has only 1/2 the tools and functions the other 3 have.

Consumer grade ($64)- Photoshop Elements 11 - Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Professional grade ($598, or upgrade - $199) - Photoshop CS 6 - Adobe Photoshop CS6
The professional grade front end to CS 6 application ($120, upgrade/Student Edition - $80) - Photoshop Lightroom 4 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Professional/Scientific grade ($870, upgrade - $399, Student Edition - $320) - Photoshop CS 6 Extended - Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6

You might want to consider some of the free applications available online for free - Top Ten Photo or image editing Software free (Photo editors) - VIKAS TIPS N TRICKS ONLINE

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For beginners, I recommend Elements and Lightroom. Don't get into other brands like PaintShop or whatever else people are trying to sell you, regardless of how "cheap" or "simple to use" they are. The reason is nobody in the professional industry uses those programs. Pros use Photoshop and Lightroom. So when you advance, they can help you with Photoshop and LR. And you can apply techniques you learn in Elements to higher versions of Photoshop. You can't apply techniques and shortcuts in other programs to Photoshop. If you use another program, there's limited professional support and it won't be worth the savings. Invest in learning photography and the software.

Sure using Elements is the logical choice if you're intending to invest in Photoshop in the future but it's a bit disengenuous to write off other software just because it's not in the Adobe stable, That's like saying there's no point learning to drive in a Yugo because the only car worth having is a Lexus. You can apply what you learn across platforms, I learnt the ropes of raster editing in (shock) Corel Photopaint and that was no hindrance at all for when I eventually got into Photoshop, sure Photoshop is more powerful and...well...better in just about every way but the principles of editing are the same.

All - thanks for the input. I think hirejn makes a valid point about using PS especially since I'm hoping to learn from the experts here and via some online tutorials - it would be helpful if I am on the same page as most everyone else for feedback and understanding the suggestions. Lightroom vs. Elements - I'll have to do some research on which would suit me better. Big Mike - based on your descriptions I think Lightroom may be a better choice for me since I tend to be a bit disorganized and could use some help in that department.

Most reactions

Back