Egg Study 1

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been meaning to do this forever, play with eggs and light, reflectors and dark/light backgrounds and today I finally pulled my sad self up by the bootstraps, set up and played :)

One of the things I always seem to get caught up on doing this kind of thing is the setup, not the light etc... but the items, what to use, how to use it, what to add or take away etc... I'm pretty happy with the items in this but if you see room for improvement please share!

This is the first one in the series, it is lit by a window camera left, black backdrop and table, egg lit from below and a reflector camera right.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

I like the lighting and the perspective. Is your egg really that short and squat or is that just the angle? Doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering.

The one thing I find distracting is that little speck of bright something on the bottom right of the egg.

GREAT AND UNUSUAL SET-UP, with somewhat average lighting on it. Not a fan of the lighting...it just doesn;t give that three-dimensional feeling that I think ought to be there with such an amazing base for the egg. Gawd, I love that block of wood with the holes! I have long agreed with the old idea that an odd number of objects works better than an even number in a still-life, and the 3x3 and 1.5x1.5 aspect ratio of the holes is simply fabulous. I think the right hand side of the block needs more fill, for shape and dimension, and in the same vein, the block appears to be "floating" in black space, which is not helping me, visually...I have a desire to see the block "on" something, maybe gray paper or whatever.

Nice soft lighting :thumbup:

I like the lighting and the perspective. Is your egg really that short and squat or is that just the angle? Doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering.

The one thing I find distracting is that little speck of bright something on the bottom right of the egg.
Thanks Sharon :)
I checked the egg and I think it's the angle making it a little squat.
Doh! Didn't see it until you pointed it out, now what's seen cannot be unseen lol I will fix that ;)
GREAT AND UNUSUAL SET-UP, with somewhat average lighting on it. Not a fan of the lighting...it just doesn;t give that three-dimensional feeling that I think ought to be there with such an amazing base for the egg. Gawd, I love that block of wood with the holes! I have long agreed with the old idea that an odd number of objects works better than an even number in a still-life, and the 3x3 and 1.5x1.5 aspect ratio of the holes is simply fabulous. I think the right hand side of the block needs more fill, for shape and dimension, and in the same vein, the block appears to be "floating" in black space, which is not helping me, visually...I have a desire to see the block "on" something, maybe gray paper or whatever.
Derrel, thank you, I'm glad the setup is working!!
The main idea with this series will be to really work with lighting and get those deep 3d, great perspective, great depth shots that you feel like you can reach out and touch and I agree that this one is falling short, I'm going to reshoot with the feedback from this thread and hopefully get it closer to "there" ;)

You are actually right about it floating in air, what I didn't say is that it is suspended on top of a spice jar with a mini Maglight in it, I'll mess with my setup to anchor it to something the next go round.

Nice soft lighting :thumbup:
Thanks Rick!

I like this Pix, was very comfortable with a long view of a much in larger format. Like a geometric montage. Ed

Wow, wow, wow. (I've seen first the other study in b&w). Super glue to keep the egg up ?

Thanks Ed :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks T! Nope it stands up perfectly all on it's own ;)

Most reactions

Back