El-Cheapo Lens - Test Results

But then, I decided to go down even further to a micro 4/3 camera, where I could use lens with a wider zoom range and still keep the weight and size down. So I got an Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk1 + getting a Panasonic 12-60 (16-80 DX equiv, 24-120 FX equiv). This kit is just bit lighter than the D3400 + 18-55, and the zoom has a wider range. Granted 16MP on the Olympus vs. 24MP on the D3400.
I think the best decision I made was to buy an Oly EM1. With the Oly 12-40 f/2.8, it's weather resistant, so I have no qualms about taking it out in the rain or near water/snow/sand/etc (to a certain degree, of course). Their travel-friendly 14-150 f/variable zoom is even weather resistant with the body, which is awesome. That 12-40 f/2.8 is super sharp, though. Well worth it.

Right now I'm trying to keep the m43 size and weight down, or I might as well carry the DX camera, hence I'm looking at the 12-60 f/3.5-5.6. Otherwise, the 12-100 f/4 would be a very attractive GP lens, which I still may get one of these days.
Makes sense. In the sole case of reducing strictly for size/weight, it'd probably be better to step down to the EM5.2 or even the EM10.2.

That 12-100... I'm going to get it one day.

Yes, I was planing on the EM10-mk3, but found a good deal on an EM1-mk1 and could not pass it up. It ended up less expensive than a new EM10-mk3. Anyway now that I have the EM-1 mk1, can't do any second guessing. Oh well.
And I just checked the E-M1 is 93 grams or 25% heavier than the E-M10. So yes, a significant difference.

I was looking at the 14-42 pancake (I may still get it), and the Panasonic 14-45, but in the end it was the slightly wider low end (24mm FX equiv) and longer reach (120mm FX equiv) of the 12-60 that swung it to be my GP 1st lens. It will have to hold me till next year and a new "toy" budget.

Selecting a GP lens is a bunch of compromises.

Last edited:
But then, I decided to go down even further to a micro 4/3 camera, where I could use lens with a wider zoom range and still keep the weight and size down. So I got an Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk1 + getting a Panasonic 12-60 (16-80 DX equiv, 24-120 FX equiv). This kit is just bit lighter than the D3400 + 18-55, and the zoom has a wider range. Granted 16MP on the Olympus vs. 24MP on the D3400.
I think the best decision I made was to buy an Oly EM1. With the Oly 12-40 f/2.8, it's weather resistant, so I have no qualms about taking it out in the rain or near water/snow/sand/etc (to a certain degree, of course). Their travel-friendly 14-150 f/variable zoom is even weather resistant with the body, which is awesome. That 12-40 f/2.8 is super sharp, though. Well worth it.

Right now I'm trying to keep the m43 size and weight down, or I might as well carry the DX camera, hence I'm looking at the 12-60 f/3.5-5.6. Otherwise, the 12-100 f/4 would be a very attractive GP lens, which I still may get one of these days.
Makes sense. In the sole case of reducing strictly for size/weight, it'd probably be better to step down to the EM5.2 or even the EM10.2.

That 12-100... I'm going to get it one day.

So what body and lenses are you shooting?

Yeah....the 28-70 3.5~4.5 might be the next lightweight,low-cost AF-D zoom lens that I buy....Rocky's review of it seems very good. Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5

Nikon has made a number of very good-performing zoom lenses over the decades. This lens is old enough that it's not really talked about much these days. It has a 9-bladed diaphragm, and apparently is very well built mechanically, and yet is only about 12.5 ounces in total weight and is very compact.

Yeah....the 28-70 3.5~4.5 might be the next lightweight,low-cost AF-D zoom lens that I buy....Rocky's review of it seems very good. Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5

Nikon has made a number of very good-performing zoom lenses over the decades. This lens is old enough that it's not really talked about much these days. It has a 9-bladed diaphragm, and apparently is very well built mechanically, and yet is only about 12.5 ounces in total weight and is very compact.

Just don’t ever drop it, even on a carpeted floor. I’ve had several, they’re cheap and work well. Then again I’m still using 12-14mp bodies for small digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back