Elephant's Trunk Nebula

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Elephant's Trunk Nebula! Located near the constellation Cepheus, this is a view of only a part of the entire Nebula, featuring the iconic gaseous structure that gives the nebula its name. The nebula is located 2400 light years from Earth. Imaged from my Bortle 5/6 back yard in south central Wisconsin on 6/20. The image is shown in the Hubble palette, with the golden tones representing hydrogen gas and the blue tones representing oxygen.

-Celestron AVX mount
-Astro-Tech AT130EDT 130mm f/7 telescope with a 0.8x reducer, making it a 728mm f/5.6 scope.
-ZWO ASI2600MC Pro cooled camera
-ZWO EAF focuser
-Optolong L-Extreme dual narrowband filter
-Pegasus Astro Mini Powerbox
-Orion 60mm guide scope
-Orion Starshoot autoguider
-Controlled with a MeLE Quieter3Q mini PC running Windows

Software
-Sequence Generator Pro for acquisition
-PixInsight and Photoshop for image processing

-50 x 180sec subexposures
-calibrated with 15 each darks, flats, and dark flats
-Total integration time of 2.5hrs

Elephants Trunk Nebula HOO 20 June 2023.jpg

The imaging rig
20230520_123241.jpg

Not too far off Hubbles ‘Pillars of Creation’, except this is from a back garden 😳

Impressive as always and many thanks for providing so much information on how it was achieved.

Dang, that's a beautiful sight! What a shot. You blow my mind every time with these.

Upon looking closely, I am seeing more of the back of a woman's figure than an elephant trunk - but, whatever. It still looks amazing. :586:

This type of photography always amazes me. I have a friend who's big into it. He built his own backyard observatory with a 6ft thick concrete base for equipment mounting and a sliding roof.

Not too far off Hubbles ‘Pillars of Creation’, except this is from a back garden 😳

Impressive as always and many thanks for providing so much information on how it was achieved.
Thank you!
This type of photography always amazes me. I have a friend who's big into it. He built his own backyard observatory with a 6ft thick concrete base for equipment mounting and a sliding roof.
That's my ultimate dream, but I will likely have to wait until we build our retirement home with some property before I can make it happen...

Dang, that's a beautiful sight! What a shot. You blow my mind every time with these.

Upon looking closely, I am seeing more of the back of a woman's figure than an elephant trunk - but, whatever. It still looks amazing. :586:
OMG, now I can't unsee that!
Absolutely incredible shot! Well done!
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back