Emilie

Tittan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kittelsaa.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a photo from a test shoot I did with a new model. We had agreed to it being nothing but a get-together to see if we're able to work together, so I didn't mind when she told me the only time she had available was right after her dance class. I didn't mind that she came in whatever she had danced in, and that she came clean. As you might notice, her hair was just rushed into a ponytail, and when I edited the photo, I decided to leave the strays because I think it looks nice. Post-practice portrait - perhaps this is a new way to go? :D

Anyway, as this photo was shot during a test shoot, I decided to use it to experiment on my retouching skills. I've come a long way, but there are still things to learn, so if you could be kind and give the CC mostly on the edit I'd be happy. By all means, say things about the light and such as well, but it's the PP I've focused on here.

Attachments

• Emilie-5.jpg
    Emilie-5.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 162
light is too harsh, look at her forehead and skin is too processed, back off a bit

she's a lovely subject. Have fun!

This is an unflattering look at her. Her forehead seems somewhat distorted in size, and her nose appears large. It appears like a short focal length shot from too close for pleasing perspective. The heavy light fall-off and the shiny forehead and the small light source and yellowish skin tone together give this a severe look.

light is too harsh, look at her forehead and skin is too processed, back off a bit

she's a lovely subject. Have fun!
I guess you're right about the light. I'll try to fix that.
Her skin is too processed, I agree. She came clean to the studio, and has a lot of zits as she's 16, so I tried my best to remove them. I see now that I've gone too far, and will go back and start over.

This is an unflattering look at her. Her forehead seems somewhat distorted in size, and her nose appears large. It appears like a short focal length shot from too close for pleasing perspective. The heavy light fall-off and the shiny forehead and the small light source and yellowish skin tone together give this a severe look.

90mm prime at f/8, so I guess I could've backed up a bit more before pressing the shutter.

I don't see the yellowish skin tone though, but will recalibrate my monitor and have a second look at that.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Hoping to get a bit more, as I really want to understand how much is enough when it comes to retouching.

The entire area under her chin has yellow. In the center of her forehead is a yellow-tinged splotch. To see the yellow, go to selective color in Photoshop, and click on the yellow category and move some sliders around to counteract the yellow cast that appears on her forehead in two splotches and under her chin. This will show you what I mean by the yellow cast her skin has. This makes her skin look like she has just come from a workout, and has normal, natural skin (no makeup on it).
Emilie-5_selective color adjustments.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back