Emma Salmon photo shoot

Rabieshund

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Five hours of traveling, one hour of setting up and packing, four hours of shooting. My back hurt. :( The pictures have nothing to do with each other so the style changes from picture to picture. I haven't processed all shots yet but here are three. I like big images, I hope you do too.

Emma with the dog Diesel.
img14851loeu3.jpg

Another one with Diesel..
img14431lo2lp6.jpg

Emma in front of a piano.
img15351loin3.jpg

More to come!

her skin in the first two is really pink (thats just an observation, im not sure if thats good or bad) the dog is cute and i like the third one the best because it seems the most natural.

I like the third one most. I like the other two, but I really don't like the dog in the picture. I found I was distracted by it and was looking at it more than the girl.

in the first two i dont like her position. she looks uncomfortable, like shes holding her breath and her arm position just doesnt look right. i really like the third, i guess same body position and arm position, maybe i just don't like the guitar i dunno.

heavy P&P feeling but i feel its appropriate, i could definately see any of these being an album cover...

Thanks for comments. Funny, on another photography site people seemed to love them. Ah well criticism is always good. I forgot to mention that Emma is a professional musician so this is not just some random model pictures. They wouldn't have looked like this if they were, lol. This was her very first photo session but I think she did pretty good.

I would like some comments on light and post processing too.

I like the third one, rich in colour and seems to capture her very well. Looks like an album cover.

I would like some comments on light and post processing too.

The way you light is a very personal thing, so I'll stick to some of the details I'd change if I was lighting it, for your consideration.

First two:
I'd lower the light level on the wall and flag off the lights themselves. (And I'd check that the lens was as clean as I could get it.)
If possible, I'd move everything further from the wall, to keep the shadows off the wall. Maybe the whole lighting scheme needs to be layered more Emma > Diesel >wall. Sticking with the same number of sources, that would mean putting small diffusers between the lights and Diesel, that would also cut the harshness of Diesel's shadows.

Last:
I'd flag off the light hitting the left side of the piano. That shadow to the left of the candle is destroying the candle-lit feel. The comparative coldness of the light on her face is also destroying that. I'd reduce the source on the right quite a lot.

PS With portable light kits I make a lot of use of Lowel Flexi-shafts etc (all light fittings should have Flexi-shaft sockets!), Matthews Road Rags and Mini-Grip, and Cinefoil.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back