English Vinglish

Frequency

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosenzitive.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the title of a recent Bollywood movie. It is about the sufferings, struggles and success of an Indian lady who had to visit United states, where she was totally troubled by this foreign language called "Ingleesh". It is the story not only of an Indian , but of any one for whom English is a second language. I am sure everybody will enjoy this. So if this movie is in a theater near by your place, please see this and let me know how you feel. (The caption is a funny slang style in Hindi, like Mister vister, paper vaper etc.)

Please see trailer here:

English Vinglish Theatrical Trailer - Trailers - Desimartini.com

Yeah, the English language is a jumbled mess of contradictions and context specific rules. Heck, most of the people that speak English as a FIRST language can't get it right. (myself included)

I work in editorial, there's A LOT of difference between USA and UK English, not just a few different common nouns. And of course, we have also the Australian, Canadian, South African linguistic conventions too.

We host a lot of students from India and the one thing I do is explain American idioms :) One of the students actually had a class in grade school on American idioms. Looks like a good movie to see. Thanks for posting the trailer.

We host a lot of students from India and the one thing I do is explain American idioms :) One of the students actually had a class in grade school on American idioms. Looks like a good movie to see. Thanks for posting the trailer.

Idioms..totally! When you break down English idiomatic usage and consider how bizarre some must appear to someone learning English from scratch.

panblue said:
Idioms..totally! When you break down English idiomatic usage and consider how bizarre some of the combinations must seem to someone learning from scratch.

Idioms are difficult for more than just foreign languages too. I mean, think about kids with certain degrees of autism who think very, very literally. It must be a nightmare for them trying to comprehend some of the ridiculous idioms.

Good point!

panblue said:
Idioms..totally! When you break down English idiomatic usage and consider how bizarre some of the combinations must seem to someone learning from scratch.

Idioms are difficult for more than just foreign languages too. I mean, think about kids with certain degrees of autism who think very, very literally. It must be a nightmare for them trying to comprehend some of the ridiculous idioms.

Most reactions

Back