Enlarger Bulbs

Parker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I recently purchased a Jessops 3500 B&W Enlarger off ebay that didn't come with a bulb and have since found out that they have discontinued their production. So I'm stuck with an enlarger minus the all important light source!

I just wondered if anyone knew:

A) Anywhere that I could get hold of a new Jessops 3500 Enlarger bulb?

B) If there was any 'makeshift' type bulb I could use in the absence of the correct one.

It has a standard Edison Screw 27 fitting (220v - 240v, 100w max)

Hope someone can help

Thanks,

Parker

Have a look here. They have a small selection of enlarger bulbs. Hope that helps.

Hey, thanks for the link. Unfortunatley I have already looked there and I think the bulb I need is the one that says

"The Following Lamps are at present un-available due to manufacturing difficulties"

However, even though my enlarger says MAX 100w, I'm tempted to try the 150w bulb on that site. Is this a mildly, or seriously stupid idea?

It might not be very safe to use a 150W bulb. I am not sure.

Alternative links (they don't mention availability):

- Morrisphoto

- Lamps-on-line

Alternatively, you can use any white bulb that fit and that does not have any writing on the glass.

take the enlarger head apart and modify the electrics to take the normal type 2 pin bulbs it should only mean disconnecting the old light fitting and refit a two pin holder.

If it is a standard ES fitting then there are quite a few bulb manufacturers you can turn to. Best thing to do is find a photo store with a darkroom section and ask if they have a bulb. They usually carry spares.
Using one of a higher Wattage is a bad idea as the head will not lose the heat fast enough. When it gets hot, lots of baaad things can happen. You are OK using a bulb of lower Wattage - you will just have to expose your prints for a bit longer.
Try here (US): http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_techtips_det.php?id=3&p=2
If you are in the UK just go to Jessops.

Most reactions

Back