Eventual upgrade to FF, need input on lens choices.

a_auger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of upgrading to full-frame with the purchase of a 6D. I'm pretty much decided on that camera for the price and the low-light performance. I already own and will be keeping my 7D, so I can't justify the purchase of a 5D3 for the AF and fast fps... I enjoy landscape photography, but have come to like some fast action as well with the 7D.

That being said, I will need to replace two of my four lens, as they will not be compatible with FF cameras. Here is my current setup:

Canon 7D (Keeping)
Canon 50mm f/1.4 (Keeping)
Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD (Keeping)
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Contemporary (Selling)
Sigma 6-18 DC HSM (Selling)

I'm thinking of using the 6D as my main walk-around camera and keep the 7D for when I need its particular strengths. I absolutely love the new Sigma 17-70 but don't think I'll justify keeping it with this scenario, so I'll sell it. I will therefore be needing another walk-around lens that will fit on both cameras.

Here's my dilemma: Should I stick with the 24-105 f/4L kit lens or should I get myself a 24-70 f/2.8 lens? I've gotten used to having the fast 2.8 of the Sigma, but I'm not certain that it will be needed on the better performing 6D. Plus, the 24-105 on FF has more reach for everyday uses, similar to my current 17-70 on APS-C...

On the other hand, I often shoot fast action in low light (swing dancing, anyone?) so I would certainly enjoy more speed. I'd rather not forgo stabilization, so I'm looking at the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD as a cheaper alternative to the similar and more expensive L equivalents. I've read that the Tamron 24-70 is also sharper that the 24-105, and just as good as its Canon counterparts that don't have IS.

As for the wide angle lens, I find myself not using the zoom on the 8-16, so a fast prime (for night photography) would suit well on the 6D. I'm thinking the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8. It's got weird distortion (easily corrected) but is quite sharp. Sure it's manual focus, but I rarely use my wide angle lens for anything else than stars at night and don't mind focusing by hand if I need it for anything else, plus the price is right! A 16-35 might be in the cards in the future (maybe the new f/4?) but that will depend on how the budget goes sometime next year...

Keep in mind that I'm overseas until sometime this Fall, so I'll have lots of time to sell the two aforementioned lenses and get a decent price, then apply that money towards the 6D.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

You provide a difficult decision. I just did what you are proposing - purchased a 6D and keeping my 7D.

I did purchase the 6D/24-105 kit as it was on sale and a good price. The 24-105 is a great lens and I have used it inside. I get better low light performance at 3200+ ISO than I do with the 7D at 800. So the f4 does not bother me for what I do (Which doesn't mean it won't bother you for what you do). The image quality of the 6D is amazing when converting over, however the 7D has advantages when outdoors and birding with my long lenses. So I will keep both.

I do get asked once i a while to shoot in door events so I too have looked seriously at the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD. There is a very strong chance my GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) will win over and I will have one of those in my bag soon. I suspect the 24-70 will perform better for in-door casual shooting and the 24-105 will do better for outdoor walk-around. In the long run I am thinking for you the best choice is to pick a time when the 6D/24-105 kit is on sale and then see how that performs in your situation. I suspect it may do fine - then you can splurge for the 24-70 at a later date.

I have checked the reviews on the
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD and you are correct the reviews indicate matching quality to the Canon "L" with a few variances one better at one range the other better at a different range, but overall they are a match for quality.

Thanks Lumens for the input. I suppose that since I'm not buying right away I could wait for a good deal to come up. Who knows? Maybe I'll have some new gear to bring home after my deployment. Camera equipment is expensive in Europe, but I could sell my used gear here for more that I could get at home...

Most reactions

Back