I think you'd capture the detail better if the light weren't so bright - as it is it is a little jarring to look at. The angle is fine, but I'd also be interested to see it head on, even if that's the more predictable angle - it's detailed enough that I'm not sure it needs more than the predictable angle to be interesting.
Nice find - what sort of a building was it attached to, a church?
Ah....my only trips to Mexico involve tequila and, well, more tequila and that was a lifetime ago so it's hazier now than it ever was. And was it ever hazy.
A house, really? That is interesting. I see it has a letter slot, now that you mention it.
If you can, reshoot it when there is much less ambient light, but from the same angle. If you can, add an off-camera flash on the other side of the door. This will make shadows face the camera and the detail will pop.