Exciting Finds - Need some help figuring out

Christian de Ment

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been given some old boxes of camera equipment - that were gonna be sent to the tip!

I've worked our that I've got most of a early 1900's mahonagy bellows camera, and this very nice Taylor, Taylor And Hobson Brass Lens...Needs a clean, but the optics are good! no mould!
info on lens is
Taylor Taylor & Hobson
Leicester
No7957
8 1/2 X 6 1/2 R R
EQ FOO -11.35IN

I am guessing that it comes from this wooden plate Camera that I am piecing together, but was hoping to find out more about the age of the Lens.

Attachments

• IMG_2167.JPG
    IMG_2167.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 220
i would NOT clean or polish the barrel.

Hello and welcome, you need to find a photography museum and ask for their help.....

i would NOT clean or polish the barrel.
Yeah....I have no intention if poilishing it up... It looks like it should be... `its in good nick for a 100(?)rear old lens!

Yes it does appear to be in extremely good condition for a 100-year-old
lens. The barrel has a beautiful patina, and just very small amounts of tarnish. My experience with brass is that if you take off that lovely oxidization you risk getting quick tarnish, and polishing can remove the tool marks, which in this case add to the lens's character.

Here is the camera I believe goes with the lens, but I'm obviously missing some parts... There are no makers marks or identifiers. wood looks like Mahogany and all metal components are brass. Anyone know anything about the age / maker of this camera? and what pieces are missing

Attachments

• IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
Here are some better phoro's after a careful dusting!

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
The lens markings refer to coverage and focal length (I think it's Eq FOC 11.35"). 8 1/2" x 6 1/2" is what they called full plate, or whole plate, a fairly standard glass plate size of the time.

As for the camera the biggest thing is the back. The whole plate at the back with the circular hole is an addition and not part of the original camera. I don't know why but would guess that it's been converted to a projector?

The major missing part is the bits behind it as in the ground glass focussing screen that would've been on some handy hinges that folded out of the way allowing a dark slide to be inserted. This is another problem if you don't have the dark slides to go with it because they are not standardised. They would be primarily for glass plate anyway so great if you were into older processes but could be converted to carry available film sizes if you wanted to use the camera as well. They are generally mahogany and beautiful things in their own right so desirable if you wish to display the camera. If it's just use then a standard 5"x 4" back could probably be easily mounted. You're missing a lens board but they are not generally a problem to fabricate.

On the front standard the locking screw for what should be the *front rise* should be another knurled knob as should be the two screws that secure the front standard. It's a folding camera so what should happen is that you loosen these and then you can tip the whole front standard slightly forward so it lifts clear out the base. Then you can place it in the recess in the base and loosen and fold the rear standard over it, (unsure if you already know this so apologies if you do).

A couple of photos of mine so you can compare, it's not the same make but the basic construction/parts will be very similar. I've not got an image of the dark slides but can get you one if you wish...

_DSC7561_sRGB_sm.jpg

This shows the *double-hinge* arrangement, once focussing is done it allows the ground glass to be lifted clear which will then allow you to insert the dark slide in the slots you'll find.

_DSC7568_sRGB_sm.jpg

Most reactions

Back