Exploding off the Branch

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I find that it's a mistake to try and get too close to American Kestrels, they almost always bolt right away, they're so skittish. I also found out that it's a mistake to have your VR turned on when using shutter speeds higher than you lens' focal length, (600mm in my case) you get a fuzzy pic (like these) if you do. I didn't know the camera would behave that way. Over 200 pics were taken this day and not a one was sharp. Learn something new every day. Has this happened to anyone else?

740-American-Kestrel-Launch-(2)-f.jpg

741-American-Kestrel-Launch-(2)-f.jpg

I am interested in hearing how others respond to this. I went out the other day with my 200-500mm and took a bunch of pictures and was not happy with the focus on any of them. In my case I figured it was because I was using single servo instead of continuous auto focus mode when the targets (ducks) were still moving a bit. I have not heard or seen anything about not using high shutter speeds with VR on.

I have heard of this issue, but haven’t had issues with my Canon 100-400 handheld.

Hmmmm, interesting point about the VR. Not something I'm aware of on my Canon lenses either. Most of my wildlife ones have a couple of modes of IS (image stabilization, Canon's VR). One mode for static subjects and one for moving or panning subjects. Never ever use either tho for anything else than handheld.

I am interested in hearing how others respond to this. I went out the other day with my 200-500mm and took a bunch of pictures and was not happy with the focus on any of them. In my case I figured it was because I was using single servo instead of continuous auto focus mode when the targets (ducks) were still moving a bit. I have not heard or seen anything about not using high shutter speeds with VR on.
I have heard of this issue, but haven’t had issues with my Canon 100-400 handheld.
Hmmmm, interesting point about the VR. Not something I'm aware of on my Canon lenses either. Most of my wildlife ones have a couple of modes of IS (image stabilization, Canon's VR). One mode for static subjects and one for moving or panning subjects. Never ever use either tho for anything else than handheld.

I felt the same way until it happened to me and kept happening but I didn't know what was causing it. I've wondered for a long time why I couldn't get good, sharp images. I have the habit of not checking my lens settings when I switch up what I'm doing (switching to high speed shooting) and other times I've stopped to think that I should maybe turn off the VR if it's not needed, like you would when using a tripod, but I didn't know about this phenomenon. I just attributed the bad pics to inexperience and having a sub par lens for capturing birds in flight. I did get the cheaper lens after all. I'm convinced now that inexperience isn't the issue. I don't shoot any differently any time I shoot so they should be more consistent. I researched and couldn't find anything on this until the other day when I stumbled across the info while looking at other things. I'd remember it when I went to shoot these so I did a little test and turned on the VR while shooting @ 1/3200, f/6.3 and ISO 400 and sure enough, they all came out a little on the fuzzy side.

It's really not a huge difference in sharpness but you can tell the difference if you look at my previous kestrel pics when I didn't have the VR turned on while using high ss. i have no clue as to why it does this when hand holding but it does seem to do it. I'll do some more tests to see if what I believe is true or false. It could be it's something I hadn't thought of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back