External flash

étoile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i own a Nikon D40. I'm looking to buy an external flash and i was thinking about getting a Nikon speedlight SB-400. First of all i'd like to know if it's any good, also does anyone know if it's actually compatible with a Nikon D40?

étoile;1669814 said:
Hi, i own a Nikon D40. I'm looking to buy an external flash and i was thinking about getting a Nikon speedlight SB-400. First of all i'd like to know if it's any good, also does anyone know if it's actually compatible with a Nikon D40?
Nothing that Nikon makes is any good. :lol:

The SB-600 is better than the SB-400, but it costs more too. The SB-800 is better than the Sb-600 and the SB-400, but costs more than either of those. But it all boils down to what you need a speedlight to do, which you didn't mention.

For example, the SB-800 has a Commander Mode that you can use to control up to 36 other, off-camera speedlights. But, you probaly don't need that function .

So, that brings us back to the SB-400 and the issue of it's compatability with your Nikon D40.

Did your D40 come with a users manual? It lists what Nikon speedlights are compatible with your camera. Look at pages 99, 100 and 101.

If you don't have the manual you can do like I did and download the online version and forever more have a copy on your computer.

The Users Manual contains a plethora of very useful information that pertains to no other camera in the world, than your D40. So, it's a valuable resource indeed.

SB-800 has been discontinued and is pretty much impossible to find anywhere. If you want a top of the line flash, the SB-900 is the one that you want.

In this case, the SB-600 is the one that I would recommend because the SB-400 is barely stronger than the on camera flash.

The SB-600 is more expensive than the SB-400. But it has several advantages. The SB-600 obviously has more flash power. But more importantly it has a tilting and swiveling flash head. And yes its compatable with the D40. The SB-600 is a bit more than the SB-400 but its worth it. I have 3 SB-600's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back