Extract

loves_guitar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello masses,

For a long time, I've struggled with finding a solid process of extracting a subject from an image. You know, like you have a person standing in front of a beach, and you want to extract just the person and place them in front of Disneyland.

I don't have a specific image in mind, just in general. What process do you use to extract a subject from an image?

I usually use some type of selection method like the lasso tool. I'd start by deleting as much of the background as I could and then zooming in and deleting the detail. It isn't easy to do and it's very time consuming but the results look like crap if you rush through it.

Something else to consider if you're thinking about setting up a shot where you know you'll want to delete the background is getting a green screen. You can find them on ebay for relatively cheap and then you could just magic wand it out.

Yeh, it can be tough to extract from a photo with alot of different shades.

If you use photoshop then try using the extract tool.

Filter>Extract...

It's like the lasso tool, but you can do it in smaller parts.
Draw around the section you want to extract, then use the fill tool and fill that section.
Takes abit of work, but it seems to be easier sometimes than doing it with an eraser and lasso.

Also, try altering the brightness/contrasts so the part you wish to extract stands out abit more. Then maybe easy enough to erase the background with the magicwand tool.

If you have any example pictures, you said it's not a specific question, but still. Maybe someone can show you a process.

Sorry, I don't have a certain picture in mind. It actually came about as I was parousing through the 'photoshop challenge' forum. I noticed some pictures where they extracted the subject and put them in front of a city street or beach.

Has anyone fooled around with creating a channel mask? I went through this tutorial from a book I've got (Photoshop CS one-on-one), but do you think I could do it with one of my own pictures? Of course not.
Hence the question!

There are several methods to extraction...but the general rule with any method is that it will look better if you take your time.

I sometimes like to start with the extraction filter or maybe the lasso or magic wand. It may also help, when making the initial selection, if you make an adjustment layer and crank up the contrast for example....then you can delete the adjustment layer, once you have the selection.

After I have the selection...I create a layer mask...and that's what I use to fine tune the mask. You can paint the mask on or off using any of the typical brush tools...so it allows you great freedom.

The key to getting good is to practice, practice practice. Use your own photos or even down load something you like...and practice on that. I practiced on tasteful nudes...just because that's more fun. :D

Most reactions

Back