Extreme Beginner Question - Travel Camera

Drive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I did some research but I couldn't find precisely what I'm looking for. Actually, I don't think I even know what I'm seeking.

Anyhow, here's the deal. I'm leaving for 1 month to visit Italy, Turkey and Greece and don't think it would be wise to go there without a camera. I must say that I'm not the photography-type of guy so I don't plan using it after my return therefore I may not be willing to spend a fortune on that thing. Still, I want to have a better looking photos than what the usual pocket digital camera can offer.

Speaking of quality picture, this is where I concretely need help. Maybe I'll sound like a total hipster but I don't want the maximum pixel in a picture and actually prefer when they look a bit old-ish (Note: Just to be clear, I'm not referring to Instagram-type of photos). Am I wrong if I say that the quality of a picture is not only dependent on the number of pixel in it? I would rather prefer a photo that catches the colors and ''the mood'' of where I'm standing rather than the usually boring pictures made by the average digital pocket camera.

Does this make sense or I'll be treated like a paria around here?

P.S. My budget is 400 and I would be willing to buy used.

Thank you very much

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that the number of megapixels that a camera boasts, has little to do with the actual image quality. So unless you plan on making huge prints, you don't need to be too worried about the number of pixels.

But as for capturing mood, color etc...a lot of that has to do with lighting and post processing....and quality, has much more to do with the skill & knowledge of the photographer, than it does with the model of camera being used.

Since this is for traveling, I'd guess that size & weight are going to be an issue. You'll probably want something that will fit into a pocket, as opposed to something that would have to be in it's own camera bag.

Your issue may be deciding on a super zoom type camera or something with less zoom, but higher quality lens.

I'd look at something in the Canon G series. Small(ish) camera but great quality glass and they have the option to shoot in manual mode and record raw files, which will give you more options for processing them later.

You might check out the new "tough" camera made by Olympus. It is apoint and shoot, but the results are terrific.

I have one that I carry around especially when I am in areas that are a bit dicey and don't want to drag out the d700.

It is shock proof , weather proof and can hit it with a hammer and it seems to keep on working

I am going to toss out another idea to you since this sounds like a one time and forget it deal. Don't get a camera. Take that $400 you were willing to spend and go on your trip. There are thousands if not millions of souvenir photos available for purchase. Use some of that money to buy some of those to remember what you saw.

If you don't want to do that, you might consider borrowing a camera from family or a good friend. Just a thought.

I'm not sure I would go with a used camera at that price range. There are quite a few nice digital cameras that will fit your price range and your skill level. Doesn't sound like a trip that you'll want to have to think about learning how to use a new camera. In this case the easier the camera that more happy you will be. I would go to a good camera store, not big box, talk to staff there and tell them what you told us. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Enjoy the trip.

I'd recommend Lumix, they make some very good pocket sized cameras. My wife's got a TZ20, for a pocket superzoom it's damn impressive.

Everything is noted. Many thanks to all of you !

About 3 years ago, I too was preparing for a trip to Italy and Greece. I too wanted to get a nice camera, and didn't know anything about photography. I spent about $1200 for a D5100 + 2 kit lenses (at the time). I quickly fell it love with it (and photography), and I am VERY happy I made the decision to get a DSLR for that trip. The pictures came out wonderful, and at the time I was using full auto mode. I've since sold that one and gone pro equipment.

I just took a quick look on Amazon, and I found a Nikon D3000 w/ kit lens for $429, which is around your budget. I'm sure you can find an older Nikon or Canon for that price, and you could probably find even newer cameras used.

Hi Drive - if you don't want your pictures to look like they were taken with a pocket camera - but you don't want the size and weight of a DSLR - I recommend a $417 Sony NEX-3N with the 16-50mm power zoom with a DSLR-sized sensor. This camera is refurb'd with a 90 day warranty.

Much smaller and lighter than a DSLR such as the Nikon D3000/D3100, and about the same size as the Panasonic TZ20 (ZS10 in the States), the NEX-3N won't have the TZ20/ZS10's 16x zoom range but its photos will look like they were shot with a larger camera.

Here is what it can do: Flickr: The Flickr NEX-3N !! Pool

Hope that is helpful and have a great trip!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well fellow Canadian I would suggest you go to Henrys and check the cameras they have in their store.
I think best for you is to get a good quality point and shoot.
Not all P&S are bad cameras, some are actually very, very good.

I always share my own experience in this matter.
My second body camera is the Canon G15 which is a P&S but its quality and features are actually close to a DSLR but without the need to "Schlep" around a big camera and the extra lenses which is a nice thing in a trip.
I bought my G15 at Henrys for an excellent price but I think Blacks will match their price so you can check them too.
It should be in your price range and is my recommendation.

Good luck.

The Sony NEX-3N is pretty impressive indeed.

I'll also look more into the Canon G15 !

Many thanks again

The Sony NEX-3N is pretty impressive indeed.

I'll also look more into the Canon G15 !

Many thanks again
Please do let us know what you choce and how you like it.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back