SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2012-04-07-01.jpg

This White Bengal Tiger is one of the animals at the Nashville Zoo that I don't get photographs of very often. It usually lies right against the fence in the back of their paddock but today it was unusually active and pacing around.

They are quite rare and I read that in the past 100 years only 12 have been sighted in the wild. Most of the specimens are living in zoos and this one is no exception.

Nikon D7000 - ISO 1600 - 1/250 second @ f/8 - Nikkor 70mm-300mm @ 300mm

Nice photo.

A bit more on that just to see if anyone else reacts like me.

The eyes are pretty much center vertically and the markings create a sort of visual illusion that makes it hard to focus on on the face. But if I move the eyes further up in the frame, I don't get the some thing. Anyone else?

Stunning animal and beautiful capture!

I promise had it not been a zoo shot there is no way in hell I'd be that close to one. The focus distance was 11.89 meters and that cat could cover that distance before I could even start to think about moving.

It is sad to see them in a zoo but in some cases, as with this cat, they are probably better off. They are so rare that they are prized as pets and this one would have probably wound up as a rug somewhere. At least here they are well cared for and well fed.

They do still retain some of their native disposition even in captivity though. I was talking with the keeper for the Eurasian Lynxes and he said that the male tests them every single day. He snaps around and charges the wire when someone gets close. The keeper said that even though the male Lynx only weighs 50 pounds there is no way in the world he'd get in the paddock while they were in it.

Since it is the Easter weekend they had placed some large paper mache eggs in the Lynx paddock, and I happened to walk by just as they released the cats from their kennel. Udo, the male, stalked over to the first egg, walked around it once, and then with a flick of his wrist so fast I didn't even see it move he sent that egg across the paddock. He then went over to the second one and with one swat from each front paw he totally shredded it and proceeded to play with the pieces. Sorry, it's a bit soft. Even at ISO 1600 and f/5.6 the best I could manage was 1/125 second.

2012-04-07-10.jpg

I'm not sure selective colouring worked in this one....

(jk)

Lovely animal!

Scott, WTG, nice set. I keep on thinking that a slight crop to just after the shoulder would really make the Tiger POP.

I'm not sure selective colouring worked in this one....

(jk)

Lovely animal!
Yeah, I tried B&W but the only thing that changed was the grass in the background ;)

He is a beautiful animal, I totally agree about that.

Scott, WTG, nice set. I keep on thinking that a slight crop to just after the shoulder would really make the Tiger POP.
I agree, but it closes down so much on his head that he looks crowded in the frame and I wanted to keep his head on the left 1/3 line. I'm also kind of used to the 3:2 aspect ratio and don't like to change it unless necessary.

I go to the zoo every chance I get. At one time I thought this is no way for this animal to live. But, then my thinking changed. Now, I look at so that the animals are taken care of. See a vet regularly, food water and shelter all day.No one is going to shoot them and mount them on a wall. So even though they cant run free. They will live a longer life in the zoo then in the wild.

I go to the zoo every chance I get. At one time I thought this is no way for this animal to live. But, then my thinking changed. Now, I look at so that the animals are taken care of. See a vet regularly, food water and shelter all day.No one is going to shoot them and mount them on a wall. So even though they cant run free. They will live a longer life in the zoo then in the wild.

Wow. Really?

Are you the president of the zoo association of America?

You know, I heard the same kind of reasoning about slavery. I provided food, water and shelter. Also provided a doc for those darn slaves. How come they ain't happy?

IT AIN'T NO WAY TO LIVE!

Wow. Really?

Are you the president of the zoo association of America?

You know, I heard the same kind of reasoning about slavery. I provided food, water and shelter. Also provided a doc for those darn slaves. How come they ain't happy?

IT AIN'T NO WAY TO LIVE!

Exactly what do both of these statements have to do with photography in general, and specifically these zoo pictures? Neither one of you even bothered to mention what you thought of those pictures, let alone why.

A white tiger's life expectancy in the wild would be measured in days. Its sheer rarity and unusual coat would make it the target of a rifle bullet from a poacher intent on selling the hide as a rug to some perverted collector, probably in Europe.

"THAT" ain't no way to live...it's a way to wind up dead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back