Eye`s photo - retouch

Class Aqua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

It is my first thread so in case of any mistakes, please let me know and I will fix it:)

So, three months ago I have started working at my wife`s eyelash extensions salon and one of my duty is keeping our Social Media up-to-date. It means posting photos.
Until now I had had nothing in common with photography and/or graphics software.
Now, after reading some books, watching tutorials and practicing by myself, I think I can use the Photoshop (at the basic level of course). Anyway, many question marks still present.

1. At the moment the only one camera which we possess is pretty old Pentax Optio RZ10. This camera was suggested by a professional cameraman when my wife were preparing to open the salon, 5 years ago. As I could realize, this camera is at completely OK level in good light conditions, but creates so many noises if only we try to capture when it is dark outside and the artificial light is the only source or when try to increase the Exposure value.

2. My wife is fond of this type of photos, but I have no idea how to take/retouch them.
I have been trying since three months and could not achieve even similar result.
What is the reason? My poor PS skills or just low quality of taken pictures?

#mai_shinma • Instagram photos and videos
まつげエクステサロンLe'a(レア) (@lea_eyelash) • Instagram photos and videos

3. An example of photos which we have is here. What do you think is it possible to make something nice with them?

B

Will be happy listening any advices from you.

Thank you,
Tom

You need a macro lens and a better technical understanding of how to do photography with consistent quality.
A macro lens has a short close focus limit and can be used much closer to a subject than a regular lens that can't focus as close.

However, the short close ficus limit of a macro lens also means the lens produces a very shallow depth of field when used close to the subject.
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Note to that by using a macro lens you will have your camera very close to the person and well inside their personal zone and many people don't like a photographer and camera to be that close.
Lighting can also be a problem when using a macro lens because the photographer close enough to casts a shadow on the subject.
Light quality and direction are key elements for making good photographs.

Last edited:
KmH, thanks for your reply. Are you sure those photos which I linked was taken by this method? My wife (and boss) really wants to know how to get it.

Sorry if my questions are nonsense, but as I can see, the lashes itself are not so clear on those photos. Is it an effect of macro lenses and professional camera?

Most reactions

Back