D850
f/4.5
ISO 64
1/250 Sec.
24 - 70 mm - f/2.8G
24 mm

(Processed In Both LR & PS)

20200829-untitled-23-Edit.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Cheers,

Enezdez

Deep underlying story on this does not come through for me. I cannot read enough on the headstones to make a conclusion as to whom The Departed might be.

The expression on the young woman's face is telling to me and I "get" the emotional tie. I understand Derrel's comment about the headstone as well and think with a little post work, including some contrast adjustments, it can be more visible. In my photojournalism classes, I tell the students that in an image that illustrates a story, emotion trumps all else within the image. In that respect, I think you have done pretty well here. One last suggestion, I would crop the background out that is above her head. Just below the dark tree on the right, which gives her head enough room without looking crowded and places the focus more firmly onto the portion of the scene that we need to be looking at. Cut everything that isn't necessary out of the image... Simplify.

Be well,

Cordially,

Mark

Deep underlying story on this does not come through for me. I cannot read enough on the headstones to make a conclusion as to whom The Departed might be.

@Derrel I understand your point...

The expression on the young woman's face is telling to me and I "get" the emotional tie. I understand Derrel's comment about the headstone as well and think with a little post work, including some contrast adjustments, it can be more visible. In my photojournalism classes, I tell the students that in an image that illustrates a story, emotion trumps all else within the image. In that respect, I think you have done pretty well here. One last suggestion, I would crop the background out that is above her head. Just below the dark tree on the right, which gives her head enough room without looking crowded and places the focus more firmly onto the portion of the scene that we need to be looking at. Cut everything that isn't necessary out of the image... Simplify.

Be well,

Cordially,

Mark

@HowdyMark Funny thing I did contemplate cropping the image in the manner you indicated, but was afraid it would have been crowded....thanks for the tip......

FYI the deceased is a relative, she never met but just discovered through Ancestry.com. lol and we are only about forty minutes from the cemetery.....it's a military cemetery....not much to see; however, I will admit it is one of the most serene places I have ever found myself in.....

Cheers,

Enezdez

@Derrel I understand your point...

Be well,

Cordially,

Mark

@HowdyMark Funny thing I did contemplate cropping the image in the manner you indicated, but was afraid it would have been crowded....thanks for the tip...…

Try it and see if you like it. To me, it places all of the emphasis where it should be- on her and the grave stones. I understand the military grave yard. Both of my parents are buried at Arlington in Washington, D.C.. I also understand the Ancestry.com thing too. My father died when my mom was 6 months pregnant with me and long story short, big falling out with his family and some of those relatives contacted me through info found on that web site. They had been looking for 30 YEARS, and gave me a lot of answers to questions I'd had for a long, long time. So, cool that this connection was made for her. I "get" that emotional response as well.

Take care,

Mark

FYI the deceased is a relative, she never met but just discovered through Ancestry.com. lol and we are only about forty minutes from the cemetery.....it's a military cemetery....not much to see; however, I will admit it is one of the most serene places I have ever found myself in.....

Cheers,

Enezdez

Most reactions

Back