Faster Lens: How Fast?

kbird9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to be shooting at a wedding this next summer, and it has been suggested I get a faster lens. How fast does it need to be? My current lens is a f/3.5. I'm on a tight budget too, so no super expensive ones. Thanks so much!

Kim

Oh, by the way, this is for a Canon Rebel T4i.

As fast as you can afford. Look into prime lenses, cheap and do really well in low light. Might be tough to shoot a wedding.

As fast as you can afford. Look into prime lenses, cheap and do really well in low light. Might be tough to shoot a wedding.

Nikon's 85 f1.4 is 1600, and Canon's 135 f2 is 1000. So I wouldn't say all primes are cheap. That being said, the 50mm 1.8 can be had for a little over 100 (nifty-fifty, as it's affectionately titled), and is usually a solid performer. Don't be afraid to look at brands other than Canon--Sigma makes some solid lenses, and they are usually competitively priced.

Jake

Maybe add a good flashgun

Ok. I will say it...since nobody else seems to have...

your shooting a wedding without the appropriate gear, and therefore more than likely without the know how...

As Justman1020 indicated, your limited gear also indicates limited experience, in my mind.

Not to try to scare you off, but weddings can present some very difficult shooting situations, most often the no-flash requirement in most churches. A fast lens is a good first step to handle low light, but when at or near wide-open, the depth of field becomes quite thin, which poses a whole new set of considerations and tradeoffs.

I'm no wedding shooter, but with limited budget and perhaps limited experience, I'd like to suggest an external flash in addition to a faster lens. The flash can make the difference between a blurred, underexposed shot and a good shot, if not great shot.

Of course, having the experience with your camera and knowing its capabilities as well as its limitations is paramount for shooting a wedding. Knowing how to handle low light, back lit, harsh daylight lit, shadows and the like and getting decent shots regardless is paramount. The bride will not walk down the aisle a 2nd time and the people won't fill the pews a 2nd time, so you have to be in the right place at the right time, and automatically KNOW what settings need be set for that lighting to get 'the shot'. There's no "just a minute, while I adjust my camera". There's no 're-do', either.

So, whatever gear you have and will get, I strongly suggest you practice, practice, practice, and look carefully at the results on your computer to see what needs more practice. You have 6-7 months, at least, to practice.

Also, use the search feature on this website and check out 'wedding'. There's numerous wedding threads here, from 'great' to 'how not to...'. What's been written before about weddings is for everyones' learning.

when this is all said and done...post results. lol

no experience + limited equipment + wedding == scary!

Not saying that it can't be accomplished but the couple being wedded should have their expectations set properly. My advice would be to learn flash (off camera, bounce, exposure etc) before simply going out and getting a faster lens. A faster lens is often a false panacea thrown around easily in these forums especially when said person has limited experience understanding the adv/disadv of shooting with fast/wide apertures. The bread and butter for a lot of wedding shooters with a preference for zooms are the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8.... it doesn't matter if nikon or canon. From a pure aperture standpoint, it isn't a whole lot faster than f/3.5 as the OP indicated. Wedding also includes not only portraits but candid group photos.... you will not get the final intended results shooting groups of subjects at wide open.

I'd also try to do a photo session after the actual ceremony. I've done a couple weddings as a second shooter and you have to act fast under demanding lighting conditions to shoot the actual ceremony. Its tough work AND I am happy I wasn't the primary shooter. For those that know what to do but are essentially out of practice... it will be tough too. Setting up a "staged" photo session alleviates some of the time pressures that will allow you to think things through, remain calm, and take subsequent re-shots. Plus, many won't allow flash during the actual ceremony...

Best of luck.

Have a good look at Sigma lenses, particularly the 17-50 and 50-150, both f/2.8. If you can find them used, get them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back