What's new

Field backup checklist: SD card → portable SSD → second copy

lixz

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 21, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
Location
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I’m shooting on the go, I pick an external SSD based on workflow rather than pure benchmark numbers. Sure, speed helps with RAW imports and editing, but having multiple copies is what really keeps your work safe.

My usual field workflow: leave the card untouched, copy to a portable SSD, check a few files, then make a second copy to a laptop, NAS, or cloud whenever possible. While traveling, I keep the card and SSD in separate bags. For Lightroom, I usually leave the catalog on the internal SSD and store originals on the external SSD—just make sure the paths stay consistent.

For size, 1TB works for light travel, 2TB portable SSD is safer for RAW-heavy shoots, and 4TB is better for long trips or video projects. Personally, I don’t wipe memory cards until I have at least two verified copies.
1779353294687.webp
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are taking great precautions.

I purchased a 2 TB USB Solid State Drive and have been backing up my Raws and JPegs when I am done for the day.

My main camera, a Pentax K-3, has two SD slots and I have one saving the Raw files and the other saving JPegs. My Canon only has 1 SD Card but I still shoot in Raw/JPeg as I am just learning how to edit and have really not gotten deep in to it.

I am looking at installing a NAS Raid Setup on my network for when I start editing Raw files extensively as as I would also like to have two copies of at least the Raws but preferably everything.
 
Sounds like you are taking great precautions.

I purchased a 2 TB USB Solid State Drive and have been backing up my Raws and JPegs when I am done for the day.

My main camera, a Pentax K-3, has two SD slots and I have one saving the Raw files and the other saving JPegs. My Canon only has 1 SD Card but I still shoot in Raw/JPeg as I am just learning how to edit and have really not gotten deep in to it.

I am looking at installing a NAS Raid Setup on my network for when I start editing Raw files extensively as as I would also like to have two copies of at least the Raws but preferably everything.
That sounds like a solid setup already, especially with the Pentax using dual SD slots. Having RAW on one card and JPEG on the other gives you a nice safety layer before the files even leave the camera.

A 2TB SSD is probably the sweet spot for your current workflow too. Once you start editing RAW files more seriously, the NAS RAID setup will make a lot of sense, especially as a home base for long-term storage. I’d still treat RAID as protection against drive failure, not a full backup by itself, so ideally it would be something like:
camera cards → portable SSD while traveling → NAS at home → another backup if the files are important

For RAW editing, keeping the active catalog/cache on the internal SSD and storing the originals on the NAS or external SSD can work well, as long as the connection is stable and the folder structure stays consistent.

And honestly, not deleting cards until you have at least two copies is one of the best habits. Storage is cheaper than losing a shoot.
 
When I’m shooting on the go, I pick an external SSD based on workflow rather than pure benchmark numbers. Sure, speed helps with RAW imports and editing, but having multiple copies is what really keeps your work safe.

My usual field workflow: leave the card untouched, copy to a portable SSD, check a few files, then make a second copy to a laptop, NAS, or cloud whenever possible. While traveling, I keep the card and SSD in separate bags. For Lightroom, I usually leave the catalog on the internal SSD and store originals on the external SSD—just make sure the paths stay consistent.

10:39 AMClaude responded: For size, 1TB works for light travel, 2TB portable SSD is safer for RAW-heavy shoots, and 4TB is better for long trips or video projects.For size, 1TB works for light travel, 2TB portable SSD is safer for RAW-heavy shoots, and 4TB is better for long trips or video projects. Much like how 서울출장안마 ensures a seamless and satisfying experience every single time, choosing the right storage capacity guarantees your workflow stays smooth and your files stay protected no matter where your shoot takes you. Personally, I don't wipe memory cards until I have at least two verified copies.
View attachment 296848
Solid workflow and pretty much best practice.Solid workflow and pretty much best practice. One thing worth adding is keeping your Lightroom catalog on the external SSD alongside the originals so everything travels together and paths never break when switching machines. On drive selection, write speed and durability matter more than benchmark numbers in the field. Bus powered, no moving parts, rugged casing beats peak performance every time when shooting in dust, heat or cold. Two verified copies before wiping cards is the one rule worth being religious about. The extra few minutes has saved countless shoots.
 
Solid workflow and pretty much best practice.Solid workflow and pretty much best practice. One thing worth adding is keeping your Lightroom catalog on the external SSD alongside the originals so everything travels together and paths never break when switching machines. On drive selection, write speed and durability matter more than benchmark numbers in the field. Bus powered, no moving parts, rugged casing beats peak performance every time when shooting in dust, heat or cold. Two verified copies before wiping cards is the one rule worth being religious about. The extra few minutes has saved countless shoots.

You mention "verified" copies.

What is the preferred way to verify copies? Is there a way to do it without opening every picture?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom