Film Came out with Vertical Black and White Stripes?

mitchfishman5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I shot my first roll of film (B&W) on an old camera (Olympus O-MG/OM-20) I just inherited and it came out with these white and black vertical stripes up and down across the whole roll. There was no indication of frames, shapes or any indication that a picture was even taken. I am hoping it was the film (Arista EDU Ultra 400) and not the camera but no one had any ideas what happened. The film obviously wasn't just exposed because it wasn't all black so I'm not sure what to do. If it is the camera I'm hoping its repairable but has anyone had this problem before?
I would post a picture but of course I just lost the piece that I had saved.

"Vertical stripes" meaning............... from edge to edge, or along the length of the film?

How about a shot of the issue?

I would post a picture but of course I just lost the piece that I had saved.
Black AND white?

If the film was fogged in the canister or in the camera, there would be black/dark areas, but since it has white also, it sounds like an emulsion problem. Such things can happen either in manufacturing or in processing. If the film was not loaded into the developing tank properly, it may have prevented developer from adequately developing parts of the film.

More testing is needed. Get a fresh roll and try again. Take notes on how it was handled and processed in case the same thing happens.

Good luck!

Here is my guess ... if the entire roll has no indication of exposure, and has vertical dark stripes matching the sprocket holes ... you rewound the film in the wrong direction ... stress marks.
The lack of exposure could be failed shutter or the leader slipped out of the take-up spool, so never advanced.

Turning the rewind knob in the opposite direction ... I've encountered people who have done this, usually the securing tape rips off before the film can wrap around itself, but it has been done.

Turning the rewind knob in the opposite direction ... I've encountered people who have done this, usually the securing tape rips off before the film can wrap around itself, but it has been done.

See that many many times.

Another investigation of the lost evidence for a phantom photographer (?) who will never again check upon this thread. Anything is possible, we don't know, who developed the film. Lab ? Was the film developed at all ?

The camera may have issues but the most common cause of stuff like this is improper film loading/rewinding/handling.

I suggest reading the manual on how to load, advance, rewind and remove the film.

Most reactions

Back