Film grain, or Walmart?

Yeah they do

Well, I didn't think they did, but I guess if you know they do, you got it. However, I process my film at a dedicated photo center and they scan way better than Walmart. They do adjusting as well (by professional designers), but whenever I process film with them, I indicate on the order form to not adjust any pictures and to develop all frames.

I have the eveidence if you would like me to post it, just say the word.

That's alright, I believe you :D

I would like to know what it is they are doing, or not doing...but is still happening via automation.

It's Walmart! I took some film to Walmart years ago and I got the same results: Grain and rough paper! Go to a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. You'll see the difference.

I work in a lab, and I can vouch for the corrections. Everything is set to run on auto-correct, and then we manually adjust color as need be. We eyeball it, getting it as close as we can to what we think it should be. Our members can ask us to turn off the auto correct and do no manual corrections, and some times you can really see a difference.

It's Walmart! I took some film to Walmart years ago and I got the same results: Grain and rough paper! Go to a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. You'll see the difference.

Walgreens? I have a whole box of photo CDs from Walgreens that are almost as garbage as what I posted.

There was a great shot every now and then...but now I realize that is only because the exposure happened to "match" what the machine must have wanted, not allowing the opportunity to screw it up.

And that doesn't even touch on how much dust is on all those images.

Well, I didn't think they did, but I guess if you know they do, you got it. However, I process my film at a dedicated photo center and they scan way better than Walmart. They do adjusting as well (by professional designers), but whenever I process film with them, I indicate on the order form to not adjust any pictures and to develop all frames.

I would like to know what it is they are doing, or not doing...but is still happening via automation.

Below is a properly exposed photo as processed by one such lab.
017_2.jpg

Well, obviously the black truck is the subject here, so it's safe to assume that the I was exposing for this truck, and yes it is correct. However uppon further review and my own personal scanning of the negitive at the scanners default settings shortly after I got it. I found my unprocessed image looks just a bit different.

017.jpg

It's getting to a point where I might have to dig up another print and scan it and the neg...I've used this one so many times already.

017_2.jpg

Well, obviously the black truck is the subject here, so it's safe to assume that the I was exposing for this truck, and yes it is correct. However uppon further review and my own personal scanning of the negitive at the scanners default settings shortly after I got it. I found my unprocessed image looks just a bit different.

017.jpg

It's getting to a point where I might have to dig up another print and scan it and the neg...I've used this one so many times already.

Oh, ya I seen that. I thought you knew what they were actually doing with their computer that botches the images.

017_2.jpg

017.jpg

Oh, ya I seen that. I thought you knew what they were actually doing with their computer that botches the images.

Well those are mainly to prove that the lab does do some corrections, granted CCarsonPhoto already confirmed it but those show it.

Well form my own experience it's the corrections in and of them selves that will do it.

these photos here required some heavy exposure correction after I scanned them at home, they where sorely underexposed. I corrected these images my self so it's not exactly an accurate depiction, but it the same concept.

The American Kestrel by Battou - Photo Lucidity
Got Snow by Battou - Photo Lucidity

Sadly I don't have an original copies to show you as the computer they where on fried it's mother board a couple days ago and the original scans are on the computer at home.

Sadly I don't have an original copies to show you as the computer they where on fried it's mother board a couple days ago and the original scans are on the computer at home.

Fried motherboard doesn't mean you lost your data, it should still be on your hard drive. It's the processor that suffered. I suggest you go into a place like Best Buy or some computer shop and have them retrieve the data from your master drive and put it on a DVD-ROM, portable hard drive (if you have one), or some other external storage medium.

Fried motherboard doesn't mean you lost your data, it should still be on your hard drive. It's the processor that suffered. I suggest you go into a place like Best Buy or some computer shop and have them retrieve the data from your master drive and put it on a DVD-ROM, portable hard drive (if you have one), or some other external storage medium.

Yeah, I know that. It is just unaccessible at the current time.

They are really very cool, very wonderful

<snip>
But, the prints I get from Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, the only local places I have to get photo services, are, in a word 'lousy'. Grainy, smudgy, detail lost, too light from WM, too dark from Walgreen.
<snip>

I've only used Walgreens here locally since getting back into 35mm SLR's. Each of the three rolls (Fuji 200), asked that they print "as-is" from the negative. Reason was that each of the three cameras I have now are new to me. Had gotten better photo scanner from a garage sale, so you can see the results in my personal photo gallery here.

All-in-all, been very pleased with the results. One shot I had them print an 8x10 enlargement from my negative and found it quite sharp. The defects in the few bad prints (10%) were most certainly operator error. :)

Most reactions

Back