What's new

Finally I got a Decent Moon Photo

katanapilot

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
Orlando FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
EXIF:
00000003.png


moon.jpg
 
Nice! I surprised at the fast shutter speed. If I would have guessed I would have said small aperture and longer shutter speed with a solid tripod. But I've never tried...
 
Ok I shot these tonight with a 70/300:

3186339914_1dcabde00c.jpg


3186343742_76b725f0d6.jpg
 
Nice shots. The few I've taken of the moon were not pretty at all....
 
katanapilot - did you do any sharpening? It looks like you did a fair amount of it, and you over-sharpened. I say that because the contrast between highlands and maria look sharp (so it's not that there was shake/tracking/atmosphere issues, but the features look blob-like, a characteristic of over-sharpening.

It's one of my main pet peeves in lunar photography, which is why I mention it.
 
katanapilot - did you do any sharpening? It looks like you did a fair amount of it, and you over-sharpened. I say that because the contrast between highlands and maria look sharp (so it's not that there was shake/tracking/atmosphere issues, but the features look blob-like, a characteristic of over-sharpening.

It's one of my main pet peeves in lunar photography, which is why I mention it.
Yes I did some in LR, what do you think should be fair? I added perhaps 30% of sharpening to the image.
 
Yes I did some in LR, what do you think should be fair? I added perhaps 30% of sharpening to the image.

Personally, I prefer no sharpening. If you feel you must, I use very very minimal sharpening. I'd need to see the original to give you an idea of whether or not I'd sharpen it.
 
I think most images need some sharpening. Digital senseors are never as sharp as they should be, and if you're like me (turn off all on camera processing), a little bit of PS love is always welcome. That being said, the last two do look a bit oversharpened. In PS, I usually do 75-100% at .5px for web sizes, but let your eyes be the judge. If you see pixellation anywhere besides an edge, you've done too much!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom