What's new

Finding duplicaed photos

camerart

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 6, 2023
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Hi,
I have a folder of photos. Some have been cropped and put in separate folders, now I want to sort them out, and clear duplicates.
Is there a windows program that would find them please?
C
 
There are some programs out there, some that just search for file names, some for metadata, some will use AI to compare the actual images. I would suggest you use a bot like ChatGPT or Google's Gemini and describe what you need in as much detail as possible, then tell it to recommend some programs for you. I had two, and neither worked very well; they made you look through thousands of files if you wanted to make sure something didn't get deleted that wasn't supposed to, and took forever to scan a large number of images.
 
There are some programs out there, some that just search for file names, some for metadata, some will use AI to compare the actual images. I would suggest you use a bot like ChatGPT or Google's Gemini and describe what you need in as much detail as possible, then tell it to recommend some programs for you. I had two, and neither worked very well; they made you look through thousands of files if you wanted to make sure something didn't get deleted that wasn't supposed to, and took forever to scan a large number of images.
Hi T,
I was wondering if AI could do it!
I've cropped some, and renamed them, so the only way is by recognition.
I can do it with a page of thumbnails, epecially if I can slide them into a 'done' folder. This may be best.
I'll see if anyone comes up with another suggestion, thanks.
C
 
Now you see why DB management using a top>down hierarchical tree is so important. Using a top>down structure: Master file>category >subcategory >subcategory >subcategory means that each time you click on a decending category your files are automatically sorted for you.

You might try reversing the haphazard structure using the search function in Google Photos: Edit, Organize, Search, and Backup Your Photos to separate similar/like images into new folders. That will make it easier to spot duplicates.
 
Last edited:
Now you see why DB management using a top>down hierarchical tree is so important. Using a top>down structure: Master file>category >subcategory >subcategory >subcategory means that each time you click on a decending category your files are automatically sorted for you.

You might try reversing the haphazard structure using the search function in Google Photos: Edit, Organize, Search, and Backup Your Photos to separate similar/like images into new folders. That will make it easier to spot duplicates.
Hi S,
4 years ago, I was careful to make a good filing system structure, and was processing the photos, by cropping and naming them. This was a slow process, then I was made redundant.
Now I've given them to an archive, and am trying to remember where I was in the process, so that they are left with just the processed photos.
C.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom