Fireworks at the Lake

Awesome, great captures of these fireworks. I ask the same question, how come no smoke. When I took pictures of last year's fireworks I had a lot of smoke. I tried to edit it out in some of the photos but it was very time consuming and sometimes impossible. How'd you do it. Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments everyone... :D

on the fireworks shots I took, I couldnt avoid the smoke showing up. did you edit it out?

yeah, i find smoke really distracting too... i really didn't have a lot of smoke to contend with... I think it is just a combination of things really: the lake is in a more rural location with almost zero ambient light, there was a slight breeze blowing the smoke away, and using iso 100 at F8-11 the smoke just doesn't show up as much...

by tweaking the levels slightly and using the burn tool on what little smoke there was it is pretty easy to eliminate any distractions...

I have a wireless remote instead of a cable release and it works the same way and its what I used for my fireworks. The only annoyance with that is that you have to hold it in front of the camera (not the lens of course) to get it to work.

i was looking for one of those last year, but canon didn't make one for the 20D... or at least they didn't make one that didn't cost $500... what's up with that? :(

SpaceNut said:
Awesome, great captures of these fireworks. I ask the same question, how come no smoke. When I took pictures of last year's fireworks I had a lot of smoke. I tried to edit it out in some of the photos but it was very time consuming and sometimes impossible. How'd you do it. Nice job! Thanks for sharing!
definitely try the burn tool set for midtones and shadows, it should darken the smoke without affecting the fireworks too much...

where were they comming from, i feel like i'm missing some context... they look great and i like the reflection but it feels like they're just comming out of nowhere and i dont know if i like that or not
yeah, i realize now that i was too close to the water's edge and all of my shots lack that context that would help give them that extra little something...

basically, they were coming out of nowhere... they were coming from behind the hill on the right... this is a shot before they turned out all the lights...

IMG_4601_f.jpg

I was away when you posted these, so am just seeing them now. Wow, you did really well!!! Great colours and compositions (you don't have long to get the shot!), and I love the reflections in the water. Thanks for sharing these.

WoW!!! These are excellent, I absloutely love them. The reflection in the lake just adds to the photo.
I have some fireworks coming up in my town this weekend, I will try your camera settings see if it helps me any.
Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back