What's new

Fireworks my 1st try

patbish

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
vermont
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$fireworks2-2167 (Medium).webp$fireworks1-2210 (Medium).webp
#1 #2
 
Nice shots for your first try. My only comment is that they are too closely cropped - not sure if your did that in camera or in post. Personally, I like to see the whole display or explosion or whatever you call it, in an image. HTH.
______________
WesternGuy
 
Thanks for the tip!
 
Agreed on the cropping comment. Did you properly use the bulb feature to expose these?
 
yes I did use bulb. I had my camera on the tripod vertically. I think I should have had it horizontal. The pics were not filling the frame vertically. my settings were f/9 -exposure time 2 sec - ISO 100
 
The Beginner's forum is not a photo sharing or C&C forum, which is why the thread you started has been moved to one of the Photo Galleries.

Photography Beginners' Forum

Don’t be shy. Use one of the forums in the - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique - section of TPF if you want C&C improvement tips on some of the photos you have taken. For equipment specific questions, use one of the forums in the Camera Forum section of TPF. Brushing up on some of the basics? The Beginner's forum is for asking basic technical photographic questions about things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, metering modes, focusing modes.​
 
Last edited:
Nice shots for your first time. I had my first try at them last night also and mine did not turn out nearly as nice. Good job
 
Thanks John. I did do some post editing in LR4
 
I like 1, other than the crop :-), and personally I would take down the levels just a hair and then bring back up the brights a tad to compensate. Removes the rest of that smoke/haze/fog stuff.

:-)

Like this... (I also ran it through a high pass to sharpen up a tad and used Hard Light setting for some more pop to it.) On second look, I probly could have killed the highlights just a hair...as it seems a bit brighter than normal to me, but you get the idea.





7511504484_28b209919d_z.jpg
 
I find firework shots to be sort of bland when alone, unless the firework itself are different/amazing. Try to incorporate something else around the fireworks to add interest.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll post a link to an example of what I mean. Here is a shot I took a few months back.

6946269130_d49b07a25c_b.jpg
 
Pretty cool shot. Too bad my town is not nearly as pretty at night. lol. all you'd see in mine is ugly trees and a ramada inn
 
Ernicus said:
all you'd see in mine is ugly trees and a ramada inn

That's as epic as Maine gets.
 
This first try is probably a lot better than my 5th try. Good job.
 
Thanks doc!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom