First attempt at Panning... What am I doing wrong?

Set your auto focus to "AI Servo"
Distance isn't the problem. Are you locking your auto focus on to the cars as they are coming or are you panning and then trying to get the shot at the last second?
Your shutter speed in these situations won't do much more than lighten or darken your photos.
Looking at the shots you got, its a fairly well lit day so your shutter speed should be around 1000 +/-, open your aperature a touch for background blur, and use a medium to low ISO, ISO 400 or less...
Here are some examples at about those settings...

#1 From a distance...
2783869760_3e32c680e6_o.jpg

2. From about 6 feet away
2832827056_d3cec0e80d_o.jpg

3. From about half track away...
2921127750_dc3f478e5d_o.jpg

4. Right under...actually on track.
2833289435_cafe7a060a_o.jpg

Sorry thats totally wrong :lmao:, shutter speed needs to be 1/160 max going down to 1/30, 1/1000 will get you no blur, set your camera to shutter priority and start at 1/160 you need to be as smooth as possible and not moving the camera up or down keep your elbows tight to your side and do a few practice runs as you click the shutter follow through don't stop as you press the shutter and sqeeze it gentle so as not to move the camera , then as you get better start to lower your shutter speed

here's one at 1/40
68315042_Eru6y-L.jpg

You did not have it wide it was at F22 1/125 for first shot

Thats what I was saying, the supra was taken at f/22 1/100 sec....

Actually he might be able to open his aperture a bit to f/8 - f/16 to hit his lens' sharpest aperture...but mostly its the pan.

Thats what I was saying, the supra was taken at f/22 1/100 sec....

Actually he might be able to open his aperture a bit to f/8 - f/16 to hit his lens' sharpest aperture...but mostly its the pan.

Looking again i think the OP may have had a bit of up and down movement ?

I use a mono pod to do all my panning when I am at the track, it has helped me immensly. This is one I liked from last year. It was still early in the weekend and I was kinda rusty so this was 1/320 at f8, not as much background blur as I wanted but the car is crisp and the wheel blur is nice.

IMG_1062.jpg

Looking again i think the OP may have had a bit of up and down movement ?

That's kind of what I'm seeing. I think your tips about keeping the elbows in and a smooth press of the shutter would help a lot in this case.

Most reactions

Back